Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

1992 Toyota Camry: indicator light..brakes..the gauge cluster lights

Customer Question

I have a 1992 Toyota Camry 4CYL. The reverse lights won''t come on and the indicator light on the dash tells me lights in the rear are out. When I apply the brakes the reverse shift position light on the gauge cluster lights up. I was told this would be a bad reverse switch/ neutral saftey switch. What and where is this located? Can I do it myself or do I have to take it to a shop?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using just answer. First the taillamp failure circuit does not monitor reverse lights on your car, that is a seperate issue related to brake/parking lamps in the rear, be sure all other bulbs are working also. Reverse light issue-here is the repair manual sheet to verify source of condition, if you have a manual trans the back up light switch is a simple switch on the transmission case, if automatic you use a neutral start switch to power the lamps, see below:

Download 1

Download 2

Download 3

Download 4 -see page 1 of this download

If automatic transmission equipped the neutral start switch is somewhat common but as always I do recommend testing/verify problem before spending time and $$ on a repair to be sure you are not throwing parts at a car that are unneeded.