Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

2007 Prius: VSC..lights came..it towed in to Toyota and was told it

I have a 2007 Prius, The ((i)) ,VSC and Triangle lights came on, the screen it said Transmission problem, move to level ground and apply the parking brake. After doing this and turning the car off it would not start back. I had it towed in to Toyota and was told it had 2 codes in it that pointed to Transmission, and they had a service bulletin on this. After removing the starting battery for 1 hour, all codes are cleared and the car starts it will run for 4 to 5 hundred miles and this will happen again, it seems to be when you slam on the brakes hard. you can clear the code with a code reader and all is good for a while but the lights will come back on. I don't want to leave my Prius for a month to have a Trans put in and that not be the problem. Please Help.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 6 years ago.

You have many options with today's internet so Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com.

Without having the code it is hard to say what is going on. Click on the link below for a copy of the bulletin that I believe you are talking about for the transmission. There is probably an insulation fault in the motor windings. This is a serious problem. You need to leave it with the dealer to get it taken care of. I find it hard to believe it takes a month to fix or get the part but it depends on if there has been a rash of these going bad at any one time.

I would see if they have a loaner car or if Toyota will provide a rental car because it is under warranty and the car can't be driven until it is fixed.

DOWNLOAD

RXXXXX XXXXX

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If your feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, I have been surfing the web - and noticed that others are having the same code - or similar - light (on the dash) issue - and just didn't want to be without the car for so long if it was another problem. I have been clearing the code & driving it, thinking that Toyota would soon be able to get me in and out relative quickly. Is this something that is going to just "up and quit" on me somewhere and not restart, or possible cause the car to become out of control or damage some other part? If so I will go ahead and let them fix it - they did not seem so sure of the problem - except they did mention getting the bulletin you mentioned.   So I wanted to research it myself first. You mentioned it not working after the lights comes on, Our works fine after the lights come on, any idea there? Also, it seems to be happen after a "hard" break (sudden stop) etc. Also the cruise control will not work once the code comes on, but you can still drive the car - my reader will only clear the codes - it will not let me read them.

Does this stil seem to be a transmission problem - or could it be related to the battery - as I have read in some of the blogs that folks with these "lights" has had a battery problem.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Not know which code or information sub code we are dealing with it is difficult to say with certainty. The car will eventually not start if the insulation short is not repaired. If your dealer is uncertain of their diagnosis find a competent dealer that has a good hybrid guy. Honestly they are few and far between. If you are near Cleveland look me up.

The cruise will shuts itself down on a malfunction light. There is a possibility there could be a wiring problem outside of the transmission but that is doubtful. The hard braking demands more from the regenerative breaking systems in the transmission so that explains the insulation break down more then likely. This is all speculation at this point with out running proper test. This is a very complex system.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you know of a good Hybrid Guy near Knoxville,TN? We purchased this from an individual - it has been wrecked - our local Toyota said it may or may not be covered under warranty. So we want to make sure that, if it's not, we get the correct problem fixed - as it would be out of pocket if not covered. Any idea what the cost for the transmission problem would be - if that turns out to be the probem?

If it is a salvage title Toyota will not warranty it. The transmission is about $7,000. I would pick the largest dealership in that area. They will have the most resources available to pay a high end technician. I am not that familiar with anyone in that area.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic