Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I have a 91 toyota tercel 1.5 3E E engine. Has loss

Customer Question

I have a ''91 toyota tercel 1.5 3E E engine. Has loss of power bad gas mileage, did not pass emissions/very high hydrocarbons. I have changed out timing belt/reset timing, adjusted valves, checked oxygen sensor, replaced rotor/distributor cap, wires/plugs and air filter also checked the catalytic converter and muffler both are unobstructed. When changing out the timing belt the crankshaft and engine block would not line up exactly on marks it was either 1/4" one way or the other... Live over 3,000'' above sea level have set timing at least 13 degrees BTDC. Distributor does not have anymore adjustment BTDC. If I set it at 10 degrees BTDC I get engine codes and engine runs rough... Struggling... Help..
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 6 years ago.

You have many options with today's internet so Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com.

If the distributer will not turn to get the ignition timing in the belt is off one tooth. What kind of timing belt are you using. Do you need the Toyota instructions? Do you have the numbers on the HC failure and CO numbers?

RXXXXX XXXXX

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If your feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to RXXXXX XXXXX's Post: Randy, I can set the timing to the last mark on BTDC on the timing belt cover. Timing belt is a goodyear. I got the instructions from autozone.com (very detailed instructions). RPM 2540- HC 704, CO .94 RPM 1018- HC 2771, CO .95

If I set timing at 10 degrees BTDC trouble codes 71, 25 and 26 are present. If I set to second to the last mark BTDC engine seems to run better but still not burning gas properly. Emissions was taken at 13 degrees BTDC.

The instructions are good provided you got everything lined up right. My concern is that the marks are not lining up, you mentioned they were off 1/4 tooth? With the crank pulley at 0 deg. Is the hole lining up with the indicator on the camshaft mark. The code 71 is egr low flow this should not have anything to do with the timing. Same goes for 25 and 26. Even if the timing is off a 1/4 of a tooth It should not set those codes. Are you in California or have California emissions on this car.

If you are certain 100% the timing belt is in time check the vacuum on the engine with a vacuum gauge. You need at least 19 inches.

Are the plugs fouling black?

When the car is running rough pull the brake booster hose does the engine speed up and smooth out?

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Randy- I believe the timing belt is in time check. When the crank pulley is at 0 deg. the hole is lining up with the camshaft mark. I live in Albuquerque, NM. When I pulled the brake booster hose the engine speeds up smooths out speeds up smooths out (cycling). The plugs are fouling black are wet and smell of gas. At what location do I check the vacuum, near the carb?
Thanks for helping me chase this problem around.

91 depending on the production date could be fuel injected or carburated especially if it is a california emission car. Is yours fuel injected or carburated? You mention near the carb before I assume you have a carb YES? This can change the direction we need to go in.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Randy
It is a fuel injected vehicle EFI.

There should be a vacuum port where the hose for the map sensor attach's. tee in there or remove the brake hose and use an adapter if you have one big enough. Assuming you have the valve timing correct which it sounds like you do based on your description we are going to need to run some electrical test to find out which sensor is causing the vehicle to run rich. Do you have a volt/ohmmeter and know how to use it?

Was this problem here before you did all of the work?

RXXXXX XXXXX

Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to RXXXXX XXXXX's Post: Randy, I do have a volt meter and I do know how to use it. The problem was here before I did all the work, I was trying to correct the problem.
Thanks

Check the water temperature sensor for the efi computer. Click on the link below for diagram. The sensor should be green and have an electrical connector. The black wire with red tracer should have .4 to .5 volts when the engine is warmed up. If it stays above .75 to 1.25 volts it will make the car run rich. Ideally check the voltage at the computer pin number 4 connector A.

Check the map sensor also it is the other main player for fuel injection duration.

Will you meter give you a millisecond read out of the injection duration? You might consider renting a scan tool if you are going to continue diagnosing this yourself.

DOWNLOAD

DOWNLOAD

DOWNLOAD

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to RXXXXX XXXXX's Post: Randy - Sorry for the delay, You said to check the voltage on the water temperature sensor with the engine warmed up. To check the voltage for .4 to.5 volts does the engine have to be on or just the ignition switch on? When I checked with just the ignition switch on it read .7 volts. With the engine on it was reading at .4 volts.
Thanks

Those numbers are good you can rule out the water temp sensor if it is presently running rich and that is the voltage.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Randy - I was finally able to check the vacuum pressure at or before the MAP sensor. You indicated that it should have at least 19 inches. I am reading 14 inches. I checked the voltage on the connector to the MAP sensor and it is reading 5 voldts between the VCC and E2 terminals. The vacuum reads 9 inches for the brake booster vacuum port.
Thanks

The vacuum numbers are to low. This in turn is causing the map sensor to make the computer make the injection time to long. It sees lower then normal vacuum and things the car is accelerating so it calls for more fuel. Tight valves or cam timing off is the mostly likely problem. Distributer timing can affect it also. The VCC 5 volt is a good number. The center pin or wire should fluctuate in voltage as vacuum increases or decreases. See the chart I sent above.

The vacuum on the engine is critical to make this system and engine perform properly.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there anything else that might be reducing/obstructing the vacuum? Is there anything I can check on the distributor? I had changed out the cap and rotor along with the wires. I will check the valve gaps and check the cam timing again.
Thanks

The actual spark timing adjustment is the only thing in the distributer that will affect engine performance and vacuum. Make sure you jumper the check connector to set base timing.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Randy- Can you send me a diagram of the cam/crankshaft timing placement?
Thanks

Click on the link below.

DOWNLOAD

RXXXXX XXXXX