RIP
RIP, LEAD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  A.S.E. MASTER TECHNICIAN. TOYOTA SERVICE TRAINING, ADVANCED LEVEL ENGINE PERFORMANCE,CA SMOG, HYBRID
1100518

93 toyota pickup: 22re..its starving for gas i changed the fuel filter

Customer Question

i have a 93 toyota pickup 22re engine that is acting like its starving for gas i changed the fuel filter and it still does it
Category: Toyota
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Hi, welcome to just Answer.

1. How many miles are on this Toyota?
  2. Is the check enigne lamp illuminating while the enigne runs?
  3. Does this happen on a cold enigne, warm, or both?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
184000

only when its about to die

warm
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX check engine lamp is coming on before it dies...there's a good chance the engine computer is recognizing a fault in one of the sensors or circuits. Have you tried to read codes yet? If not, this would be the best step to take first. You may have a faulty MAF (Mass Airflow) sensor, which are common failures and coincide with the symptoms. Let me know if you need instructions on reading codes using the check engine lamp flashes.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes if you can please give me instructions on reading codes that would be helpful.
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

No problem...below are the procedures...basically your going to use a jumper wire in the underhood diagnostic box to jumper terminals TE1 and E1. Than when you turn the ignition key to the ON position, the check engine lamp will begin to flash. Count the flashes...long flashes indicating the first digit in the code and short flashes indicating the second digit. Let me know what codes you come up with and I'll give you the definitions.

Without Scan Tool
Notes
DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES OUTPUT
To obtain an output of diagnostic trouble codes, proceed as follows:

1. Initial conditions
    1. Battery voltage 11 volts or more.
    2. Throttle valve fully closed (throttle position sensor IDL points closed).
    3. Transmission in neutral range.
    4. Accessories switched OFF.
    5. Engine at normal operating temperature.
  1. Turn the ignition switch ON. Do not start the engine.

1. Using SST, connect terminals TE1 and E1 of the DLC 1. SST: 09843-18020 HINT: The DLC 1 is located near the No.2 relay block.

1. Read the diagnostic trouble code as indicated by the number of flashes of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp.

1. Normal System Operation The lamp will blink 2 times per second.

1. Malfunction Code Indication The lamp will blink a number of times equal to the malfunction code with pauses as follows:
    1. Between the first digit and second digit. 1.5 seconds.
    2. Between code and code, 2.5 seconds.
    3. Between all malfunction codes, 4.5 seconds. The diagnostic trouble code series will be repeated as long as the DLC 1 terminals TE1 and E1 are connected.

HINT: In the event of a number of trouble codes. indication will begin from the small value and continue to the larger in order.

1. 2 trip detection logic: The diagnostic trouble codes 21, 25, 26.27 and 71 use "2 trip detection logic". With this logic, when a logic malfunction is first detected, the malfunction is temporarily stored in the ECM memory. If the same case is detected again during the second drive test, this second detection causes the Malfunction Indicator Lamp to light up. The 2 trip repeats the same mode a 2nd time. (However, the IG SW must be turned OFF between the 1st time and 2nd time).
    1. After the diagnostic check, remove SST. SST: 09843-18020
DIAGNOSIS INDICATION
  1. When 2 or more codes are indicated, the lowest number (code) will appear first.
  2. All detected diagnostic trouble codes, except for code No.51 and No.53, will be retained in memory by the ECM from the time of detection until cancelled out.
  3. Once the malfunction is cleared, the Malfunction Indicator Lamp on the instrument panel will go off but the diagnostic trouble code (s) remain stored in ECM memory (except for code 51 and 53).

Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Sorry the images arn't poping up...let me try this again.

Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Well it seems that my software isn't uploading properly, so try the procedure below it doesn't have any images, but the process is fairly simple.

1989-95 MODELS

1. Make sure the battery voltage is at least 11 volts.
  2. Make sure the throttle valve is fully closed.
  3. Place the gear shift lever in Neutral. Turn all accessories off.
  4. The engine should be at normal operating temperature.
  5. Using a jumper wire, connect terminals TE1 and E1 of the Data Link Connector 1 (DLC1).
  6. Turn the ignition switch ON, but do not start the engine. Read the diagnostic code by the counting the number of flashes of the malfunction indicator lamp.
  7. Codes will flash in numerical order. If no faults are stored, the lamp flashes continuously every 1/2 second. This is sometimes called the Normal or System Clear signal.
  8. After the diagnosis check, turn the ignition OFF and remove the jumper wire.
  9. Compare the codes found to the applicable diagnostic code chart. If necessary, refer to the individual component tests in this section. If the component tests are OK, test the wire harness and connectors for shorts, opens and poor connections.

These are the codes:

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to RIP's Post: where is the air flow sensor on a 93 toyota pickup 22re i thought it was on the tube right before the the are cleaner bu its not and i cant find a picture online of where it would be
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

It is on the air cleaner housing and looks like the one below...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i did the procedure u said and got one long flash and four short flashes 14 code chart says its eather igt or igf or igniter or ecm where do i start and what do those mean
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Good job! A code 14 indicates a fault in the ignition spark circuit. Perticularly is focusses on the Ignitor which is a unit used to signal the Ignition Coil to fire the cylinders at the correct time. The Ignitor takes inputs from the engine computer module (ECM) to make the determination when to fire the coil. The signals the Ignitor sends and receives are call the IGF and IGT. The code is bascially saying that one or both of these siglas are missing when tested. The problem can be the Ignitor itself, the wiring between the ECM and the Ignitor, or even the ECM. The wiring rarely fails, and the ECM is likley to on extremely high milage vehicles. To correctly test the Ignitor and ECM you need access to a lab scope...instead it may be worth it to replace the Ignitor and see if the problem remains. But before anything...clear the code 14 by disconnecting the battery negative cable for 10-15 seocnds. Than reattatch it and drive the truck around to see if you can get the check engine lamp to come on before it dies...and read the codes again so we known it is defnitly 14 and that the ECM is not erroneously setting codes.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4

Igniters are mounted in one of two places on your Toyota truck. On the remotely mounted coils, the igniter is secured to the coil. On the integral coil vehicles (where the coil is in the distributor) the igniter is secured to the fenderwell.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Separate the wiring harness connections.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: The igniter can be found mounted on the remote ignition coil

1. Unbolt the igniter.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2: Unplug the connector and remove the retaining screws

1. If mounted to the coil, loosen the nut holding the wire lead.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 3: If mounted to the coil, detach the wire

1. Tag and disconnect the wire lead.
  2. Lift the igniter off its mount.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 4: Check that all the connections are separated, then lift the unit from the vehicleTo install:

1. Mount the igniter to the bracket.
  2. Attach the wire lead to the coil if used.
  3. Connect the harness.
  4. Connect the negative battery cable.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok this is weird so i disconected the bettery for about 1 min then reconnected it and went and drove the car and now it runs fine and i checked the code again and it just flashes repeatedly in no seqence just flashes what does that mean
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.
That's good news....in some cases disconnecting the battery can cause a glitch in an electrical component to cure itself, or possibly just temporarily. In this case it is either the ECM or the Ignitor...more likely the ECM if it is affected by the battery disconnect. The flashing check engine lamp indicates there are no codes present...just drive the truck and wait for it to reoccur...if it doesn't any time soon, consider it fixed :) If it does reoccur, check for codes again, if it shows code 14, you should replace the Ignitor...if it shows another code, we'll reset it again and see what new code comes up...too many different codes can mean a bad ECM. Also, check your battery cables, if it was loose or heavily corroded, it can case erroneous codes and erratic ECM operation.