Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

2003 Toyota Tacoma: my engine light came on..Autozone..P0441..P0446

I have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma and my engine light came on. I ran to Autozone for a free computer analysis to see why my engine light came on. The problem codes that came up are P0441 and P0446. What parts do I need to correct the problem and how easy is it to fix. The Autozone guy said it might be a purge or vent solenoid that is defective but after doing some checking on the net, I am wondering if I need more parts?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 6 years ago.

There are no known issues or service bulletins with these codes. Click on the link below for more diagnostic info on the codes. The VSV's are easy to check. One is for evap purge and one is monitoring canister or tank pressure.

Download

RXXXXX XXXXX

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If your feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This looks a little more envolved than I think I will be able to do myself. How much do I expect to pay for something like this? And it looks like the cheapest answer is to replace the gas cap? Though I don't think that is the problem. Let me ask this. Since this problem has arose, trying to fill my tank up has become more difficult. I.e. The gas pump automatically shuts after a few seconds of filling the tank. And it's hard to ever fill the tank more than half way?

You are probably looking at 1 to 2 hours of labor, times your local rates. Or you could just replace the valves one at a time and save the labor in diagnostics and take a chance. You would have to call the dealer for an exact price on the valves. If the gas cap was leaking it will set a P0440 with the other codes. Any time the P0440 is missing from the equation the problem is in one of the valve mentioned or the canister. 90% of the time it is one of the VSV's.

The OVR (On board Vapor Recovery) is not working check the air drain tube on the canister it is designed to take the vapors that come from the tank when filling and run them through the charcoal canister to clean them and the allow the pressure to escape to the atmosphere. If the air drain hose is plugged (usually by a spider nest or a wasp mud dobber) the tank will be difficult to fill. Click on the diagram below.

Download

RXXXXX XXXXX

Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic