ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Toyotas. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.

my clutch fluid is completely dry and the gear shift ...

my clutch fluid is completely dry and the gear shift won''t move when the car is turned on, but moves easily through gears when it is turned off. Will fluid help at this point or do I need a new clutch? toyota corrolla 1990
Category: Toyota
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 6 years ago.
If it is out of fluid, then there is a leak.
Here are instructions for the clutch slave cylinder...the only thing that will leak out the fluid, unless there is a problem with the line.. Pull the boot back from the slave cylinder, if it is wet in there, then you have found the problem...They cost like $15 at the auto parts store, and can be changed and have you back on the road in about 30 minutes.

.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figure 1

Do not spill brake fluid on the painted surface of the vehicle.

1. Raise the vehicle and safely support it with jackstands or equivalent.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Exploded view of the clutch slave cylinder

1. If necessary, remove the under covers to gain access to the release cylinder.

2. Remove the clutch fork return spring.

3. Unfasten the hydraulic line from the release cylinder by removing its retaining nut.

4. Remove the release cylinder retaining nuts and remove the cylinder.

To install:

1. Reinstall the cylinder to the clutch housing and tighten the bolts to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).

2. Connect the hydraulic line and tighten it to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).

3. Install the clutch release spring.

4. Bleed the system and remember to top up the fluid in the master cylinder when finished.

5. Install the under covers as necessary. Lower the car to the ground.

HYDRAULIC SYSTEM BLEEDING

If any maintenance on the clutch system was performed or the system is suspected of containing air, bleed the system. Brake fluid will remove the paint from any surface. If the brake fluid spills onto any painted surface, wash it off immediately with soap and water.

1. Fill the clutch reservoir with brake fluid. Check the reservoir level frequently and add fluid as needed.

2. Connect one end of a vinyl tube to the clutch release cylinder bleeder plug and submerge the other end into a container half-filled with brake fluid.

3. Slowly pump the clutch pedal several times.

4. Have an assistant hold the clutch pedal down and loosen the bleeder plug until fluid starts to run out of the bleeder plug. You will notice air bubbles mixed in with the fluid.

5. Repeat the last two steps until all the air bubbles are removed from the system.

6. Tighten the bleeder plug when all the air is gone.

7. Refill the master cylinder to the proper level as required.

8. Check the system for leaks.

ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience: +15 years experience with Toyotas. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.