Victor
Victor, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master ASE Certified, Prius/ Highlander/ Camry Hybrid Certified, trained in all areas

where is thermostat on 1992 Toyota Camry - V-6

Where is the thermostat located on 1992 Toyota Camry - V-6 is it on top of motor or underneath near water pump
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Victor replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer,

The thermostat is located beneath the alternator assembly, near the water pump. I can provide a diagram if you'd like.

WFMtoyota

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
THANKS SO MUCH, I AM LOST AS WHAT TO DO. MY 92 CAMRY V6 DROVE GREAT FOR 6 MONTHS, 1 DAY IT RAN HOT, THE RADIATOR HAD CRACKED ALONG THE TOP, I HAD A BRAND NEW RADIATOR PUT IN, THE NEXT DAY, THE WATER PUMP AND THE TIMING BELT HAD TO BE REPLACED. DROVE GREAT FOR 2 MONTHS, THEN IT RAN HOT AND FOR ABOUT 2-3 MONTHS I WAS HAVING TO ADD WATER ABOUT EVERY TWO DAYS, IT WOULD BOIL OUT OF THE OVERFLOW. I TOOK IT BACK TO THE GARAGE THAT FIXED THE WATER PUMP & TIMING BELT, AFTER A WEEK THEY TOLD ME THEY DIDN'T KNOW WHAT WAS WRONG BUT SUSPECTED A BLOWN HEAD GASKET. I TOOK IT TO ANOTHER GARAGE THEY COULDN'T TELL ME WHAT WAS WRONG. WHEN I WAS LEAVING THEY ASKED ME IF ANYBODY HAD CHECKED THE THERMOSTAT, WELL NOW THAT I KNOW WHERE IT IS, I AM FAIRLY CERTAIN THE THERMOSTAT WAS PROBABLY NEVER CHECKED, IS IT POSSIBLE THAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM AND NOT THAT I HAVE BLOWN A HEAD GASKET OR NEED A NEW MOTOR, IT CRANKS AND THE ENGINE RUNS QUIETLY, NO SMOKE UNTIL IT GETS HOT. THE CAMRY HAS BEEN PARKED FOR ABOUT A MONTH, I KNOW HOW BAD THIS IS ON CARS BUT I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT I SHOULD DO, I DIDN'T WANT TO SPEND ALOT MORE FOR REPAIRS BUT I DON'T WANT TO INSULT MY MECHANIC EITHER, WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST, PLEASE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.
Expert:  Victor replied 6 years ago.

From your description, it is possible that the thermostat is not opening enough for the coolant to flow through the radiator to cool off. I have repaired similar issues like this and the thermostat was the culprit.

Although, your description may also entail that a headgasket maybe on it's way. Damage could've been done when the car was driven with a cracked radiator. Those older composite headgasket doesn't take much to blow if the temp. range was in the red zone.

I would suggest to replace the thermostat first and pressure test the coolant system to see if an external leak is present. If the pressure drops and no external leak is found, then you may have a blown headgasket also. But, like I said, replace the thermostat and go from there.

Goodluck
WFMtoyota

Expert:  Victor replied 6 years ago.

I haven't recieved a response from you in awhile. Was there any additional questions you'd like to ask?

WFMtoyota

Victor, Toyota Master Technician
Experience: Toyota Master ASE Certified, Prius/ Highlander/ Camry Hybrid Certified, trained in all areas