Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

1997 Toyota Avalon: The ABS light came on today..break-pads

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 1997 Toyota Avalon. The ABS light came on today. Do you think this is related to break-pads? I bought the car ~20,000 miles ago and did not replace break pads until now. I was going to replace them, but got this light now.

Please reply and I will give you credit for your work.

Thanks in advance.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 8 years ago.

No it is not likely that the pads caused the light to come on . The light is on because there is a malfunction in the abs system it is more then likely it is a bad wheel speed sensor. Do you know how to pull the codes? Or do you care to? The brakes will still work just no abs as long as the abs light is on.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Please tell me how to pull the codes. I would definitely care. Can you please give me a ballpark # XXXXX how much its going to cost me if its a bad wheel speed sensor? I know its tough to guess, but just a rough estimate..

I greatly appreciate your help, Randy.

There are 4 sensors they are about $125 to $165 plus the labor is usually about 1.5 flat rate hours times the shop rate plus what ever diagnostic time they are going to charge. Do you know where there check engine connector is under the hood? It is a little black box about 1 in wide 3 in. long and about 2 in. high it has a snap down lid that says diagnostics. it should be on the passenger side by the right engine mount.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks. I will accept your answer now. Can you please tell me how to pull the codes once I locate this diagnostic box? I have never done this before.. so I'd appreciate any procedure.

Do you think all the 4 sensors must be replaced? then we may be looking at ~$800 or so?

Appreciate your help greatly... I will accept your answer to give you $9 credit now.

Regards, Customer

Once you find the diagnostic box open the lid. you need to jump pin TC and pin E1. Turn the key on and watch the ABS light it will begin to flash a series of flashes. They are usually 2 digit codes. 2 flashes then quick pause then 1 flash is an example of a code 21. there is a 3 second delay and the series of codes will repeat themselves. There may be more then one code. No all four sensors are probably not bad at the same time nor do they all need to be replaced just the bad one.

Let me know what codes you get and i will go from there.

I have to call it a night.

I can get back with you tomorrow once you send me the code numbers.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX drove my car just now and ABS light is gone... seems like a loose contact. Nevertheless, your procedure gave me good insight into pulling these codes for any future problems.. Thanks for that..

Good luck if you need aynthing in the future let me known.