Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

91 toyota pickup: valves..marks with timing sprocket, cam and crank

My son recently ran his '91 toyota pickup 22RE hot and warpped the head. I had a head shop surface and rework valves. put the motor back up and aligned all of the marks with timing sprocket, cam and crank. Distributor is at #1 position. Checked the fuel supply. Engine turns but will not start at all. Any suggestions?
Has the compression actually been checked with a compression gauge? If there is no compression it means that there is still a major problem, the only thing I can think of is that the engine was 180 degress off from TDC #1 cylinder when the timing chain was installed, the timing mark on the pulley can be at the mark but it's possible that the #1 piston was not at TDC but rather at the bottom of the stroke, if that's the case then the engine will bend most of the valves when turning it over for the first time, I know, bad news but it's something that needs to be checked.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thanks for the info, ted. I marked tdc #1 (rotor button pointing to #1) before i removed the head. lined all the marks up when I put the head back on. when i rechecked tdc after no cranking the mark that I had made on the timing chain was off. you are suggesting to remove the head again and check the valves and is it poosible the chain could have jumped time to cause this or do you think I made a mistake? (don't want this to happen again.)
You don't need to remove the cylinder head yet, first make sure the timing chain is timed correctly, then use a compression gauge and do a compression test on each cylinder, if any of the valves were bent it will show up as a loss of compression, normal compression for this engine is about 160-180 psi.