Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

My Toyota Highlander VSC and check engine lights are on

What can cause a VSC and engine light to come on a Toyota Highlander? Can these two lights come on for the same reason?

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 9 years ago.

Yes they are related, usually the VSC (vehicle skid control ) warning light will turn on when the check engine light turns on, this is so because the VSC is disabled as soon as the check engine light turns on, the engine light should be diagnosed first and corrected, this can be done by connecting a diagnostic scan tool to get the trouble codes, I recommend you see the Toyota dealer for this. One quick check you can make is to make sure the gas cap is tight, loose gas caps are the cause for check engine lights about 40% of the time, if so, tighten the cap and then disconnect the negative battery terminal,wait about ten seconds and reconnect it, this will clear the code.