Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

1996 Toyota tacoma: 4cyl..warm,acts like its flooding..fuel injection

Customer Question

1996 Toyota Tacoma 4cyl.....Starts cold fine,hard to start when warm,acts like its flooding,but can't with fuel injection?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 6 years ago.
By any chance, is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No check engine light,runs great when it starts.Have changed the ignition switch,problem still there....could it be fuel pump? Don't have tools to check pump pressure....

Thanks for any help...
I don't think the fuel pump is the problem since it starts ok when cold at which time it needs more fuel to enrich the mixture. Low fuel pressure would cause hard starting especially when cold. When this happens is there a lot of black smoke out the tailpipe after it starts? Does it run rough and then clear up? In the meantime check to see that the vacuum hose is attached to the pressure regulator located on the front of the fuel rail, check the air filter and just look around for any disconnected vacuum hoses. It's very unusual for this to be going on and not have the check engine light on. Other than the ignition switch has anything else been done recently as far as any maintenance or repairs go?
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience: Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Tuneup,plugs and wires and cap.....was doing it before.
Thanks for the reply, I'll do a little resarch and get back tommorow.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Also I forgot to tell you that we can "pop" start it anytime and it will start...That's why I thought ignition switch.
Thanks again...
Bart
Does the starter seem to crank the engine over normally when hot or does it seem slower than when cold?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
May be slower,but not much.Battery was weak a few months back,changed both it and the starter.I think it was doing it before ,but not as bad......
The only thing I can think of that may be worth a try is to replace the engine coolant temp sensor, it's located towards the front on the left side of the engine, it has two wires going to it, green/red and brown/black.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you explain why it might be this?
This sensor changes resistance as the coolant temperature changes, the computer reads this resistance and makes adjustments to either lengthen or shorten fuel injector duration, an error could result in longer duration when hot causing a rich condition, this is why earlier I asked if there is black smoke from the exhaust when the hard starting is going on. The only other thing I can think of it that the engine has what's called a hot soak condition. If there is an excessive amount of carbon builtup on the backside of the valves the carbon can act like a sponge to soak up fuel until saturated, the engine will not get enough fuel to start until the carbon is saturated, it can be inspected for this by removing the spark plugs and looking at the valves with a bore scope while the valves are open.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the slow reply,working alot........May be the sensor,weather changing here(cooler)and it is messing up less....
Thanks for all your help.....