Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  Heavy Line Mech-, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.
1609972
Toyota

firing order of a 1999 toyota corolla

No Comment Added
Category: Toyota
replied 9 years ago.
graphic
Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: I've tried 1-3-4-2 and that doesn't seem to be working. It doesn't want to stay running. I have it at 1-4-3-2 and it starts fine and runs fine while idle, if I give it gas it will run but seems to be shaky. Here is how the wires run. I know that 1-4-3-2 is not correct though, because I have seen 1-3-4-2 in the repair manual. However every manual I see shows the round distributor cap. I do not see a round distributor cap, my wire plug in straight row, from top to bottom. Spark Plugs from left to right are 1,2,3,4 and then they connect on the right going from the front of the car to the back as 1,3,4,2? I'm tried this combination and that doesn't work. How do you know which wire goes where?
Don 'Mo Lurch', Toyota Mechanic replied 9 years ago.
Has the engine been changed?
Are you sure it is a 1999 Corolla?
What is the Engine size?
Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
Engine has not changed. I can send you some pictures if you want. That may help to clearify what I'm talking about. Positive that it is a 99 corolla.
Anything you have will help
Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
Where should I send the pics? Do you have an email address I should send them to?

You should see a Tool Bar where you type a response....Looks like this:

graphic

There is a Icon with a tree in it. That is the Upload/Download pictures. Click on that & Download to us

Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
graphicgraphic
Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
I can take different angles if you need them. From the second picture you can see from left to right on the engine is 1,2,3,4. To the right of the engine is the other end of the plug wires. From the front of the car going toward the windshield is 1,4,3,2. With this combination the car starts and seems to run fine while in idle. Give it gas and it runs rough. Change the combination to 1,3,4,2 and the car will start and run rough and then stall out.

Try this:

graphic

Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
Is 1 the closest to the front of the car? Then 3, then 4, then 2? That is the 1-3-4-2 combination that didn't seem to work. How would they hook up based on the picture I attached. Going from front to back.

If I am seeing the picture corectly, should be:

graphic

Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
I had it close I had it 1,4,3,2. I changed it to what you indicated in your last response (1,4,2,3) and it starts up and runs fine while in park. When I put it in drive or reservse I still get the sputtering. Any other idea what could be wrong with it. I know it is misfiring, thought changing the plugs and plugs wires would correct the problem.

You have it as 1 is the Front Spark Plug, correct?

Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
Yes, I have the plug closes to the frong of the car as 1, followed by 4, followed by 2, followed by 3. I now have it wired just like you labled in your picture.

When you say sputtering, does it cut out or shut off?
How is the idle in drive?
Will it move?
Customer reply replied 9 years ago.

When I start the car, it seems to be good. When I put the car in drive or reverse it starts and give it some gas the car starts to run rougher like the engine is sputtering or having a hard time. The engine light is on. I took it to Auto Zone yesterday and they hooked it up and said that piston 4 was misfiring, which is why I replaced the spark plugs and wires.

Thanks for the added Info:

If you still have the Lite On, it could be the Coil that is causing the MisFire.
You need to be sure that is still the Code

Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for the help.
Let me know what you find