Sam C.
Sam C., Technician/Shop Manager
Experience:  ASE Master, L1 cert, 25 years experience domestic & import

When I start my 1996 Toyota Corolla it makes a squealing ...

Customer Question

When I start my 1996 Toyota Corolla it makes a squealing noise. It goes away after some time but comes again when I try to turn the steering. Tell me what I have to do to get rid of this noise.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Sam C. replied 9 years ago.

Hi there,

it sounds like you should inspect the power steering belt, along with the other belts. When the belts are cold they dont grip as well so that would explain the noise in the morning. When you turn the steering wheel you increase the load required to turn the power steering pump so it will squeal again. If the belt is loose you can tighten it, but if the belts are more than a few years old they should be replaced.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Can you send me some schematic diagrams on how to change the belts? Can I do it on my own? or does it require garage level expertise?
Expert:  Sam C. replied 9 years ago.

Here are some schematics, sorry they are not more detailed. It is a fairly easy job to replace belts, If you are mechanically inclined and use a little observation you can do the job in less than an hour, On the a/c belt, there should be an idler pulley that you can loosen and move via the jackshaft bolt. The power steering belt should be able to be adjusted by loosening the power steering bolts and moving the pump. graphic