Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

1991 Toyota Pickup: 6cyl Manual Transmission.

Customer Question

I have a 1991 Toyota Pickup. 6CYL Manual Transmission. It has 180000 Miles. In the past it has always started hard in cold temperatures and never really has started smoothly even on warmer days. Now it wont start. It just turns over and fires once or twice but then it just drags and drags until the battery dies. The battery is new and the alternator has tested fine. I dont know what to fix, a selanoid or the starter or what?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 10 years ago.
If it just keeps turning over without starting up the starter is not the problem, there may be an electrical or fuel issue, remove on of the spark plug leads and check for spark by holding the end of the connector about 1/2 " from any ground and check for spark while cranking the engine, if that's the case there may be a fuel delivery problem, the best way to check for that is to connect a fuel pressure gauge, in the meantime you can activate the fuel pump directly by opening the diagnostic connector under the hood and placing a jumper wire between the terminals B+and FP, this will make the fuel pump run, see if it starts then, if it does check the fuel pump relay and the circuit opening relay and the EFI fuse, if you can't hear the fuel pump run with the jumper in place the fuel pump is the problem.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to ted ritter's Post: Ok- I have tried connecting the TE1 and E1 connectors and I get a flashing Engine service light for that. Does that tell you anything?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Also it has new plugs and wires, but i am going to check for spark right now
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Also when its warmed up, it starts alright as well
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Ok, I connected the connectors and I heard a very quiet noise. What should the fuel pump sound like?
Are you saying that it does start and run when warmed up? If that's the case and the starting problem is only when cold there may be a problem with the cold start time switch, it's located near the thermostat housing, it is the largest sensor on the housing and has two wires connected to it, these used to cause a few problems during cold start conditions, it controls the cold start injector, when the fuel pump runs you should hear a purring type of sound inside the gas tank.