Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

how to replace head gasket on 89 toyota pickup 4 ...

directions on how to replace head gasket on 89 toyota pickup 4 cylinderXXXXX
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 7 years ago.
Which engine 2.4L ? 4 or 6 cyln?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
4 cyln. 22R-E
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Drain the coolant from the radiator and the cylinder block. Drain the engine oil.

1. Remove the air intake connector.

2. Disconnect the oxygen sensor wire.

3. Remove the three nuts attaching the manifold to the exhaust pipe and then separate the two.

4. Remove the oil dipstick.

5. Remove the distributor with the spark plug leads attached. Remove the spark plugs.

6. Disconnect the upper radiator hose and the two heater hoses where they attach to the engine and then position them out of the way.

7. Disconnect the actuator cable, the accelerator cable and the throttle cable for the automatic transmission at their brackets.

8. Tag and disconnect the following:

• Both PCV vacuum hoses

• Brake booster hose

• Actuator hose (if equipped with cruise control)

• Air control valve hoses (with power steering)

• Vacuum Switching Valve (VSV) hoses (with air conditioning)

• Evaporative emissions (EVAP) hoses

• EGR valve hose

• fuel pressure hose

• Reed valve hose

• Pressure regulator hose

• Vacuum hoses from throttle body

• Water bypass hoses from throttle body

9. Tag and disconnect the EGR vacuum modulator hoses and then remove the modulator itself along with the bracket.

10. Disconnect the following wires:

• Cold start injector pipe and wire

• Throttle position sensor wire

• EGR temperature sensor (Calif. vehicles)

11. Disconnect the cold start injector pipe from the intake chamber. Remove the bolt holding the EGR pipe to the air chamber. Disconnect the chamber from the stay. Remove the air chamber-to-intake manifold bolts and then lift off the chamber with the throttle body, resonator and gasket.

12. Disconnect the fuel return hose.

13. Tag and disconnect the following wires:

• Knock sensor

• Oil pressure sender gauge or switch

• Starter wire

• Transmission wires

• Compressor wires (with air conditioning)

• Injector wires

• Water temperature sender gauge wire

• Overdrive temperature switch wire (auto. trans.)

• Igniter wire

• Vacuum Switching Valve (VSV) wires

• Cold start injector time switch wire

• Water temperature sensor wire

14. Disconnect the bypass hose at the intake manifold.

15. If equipped with power steering, remove the pump and position it out of the way without disconnecting the hydraulic lines.

16. Remove the power steering bracket from the cylinder head.

17. Remove the valve cover.

Be sure to cover the oil return hole in the cylinder head with a clean rag to prevent anything from falling in.

1. Turn the engine clockwise (use the crank pulley bolt) until the No. 1 piston is at TDC on its compression stroke. Matchmark the timing sprocket to the cam chain, and remove the semi-circular plug. Remove the cam sprocket bolt. Slide the distributor drive gear and spacer off the cam. Leave the chain on the sprocket; either wire the cam sprocket in place just off the end of the cam or rest the sprocket on the vibration damper.

2. Remove the timing chain cover bolt at the front of the head. This must be done before the head bolts are removed.

3. Remove the cylinder head bolts in the correct order. Make two or three passes to loosen the bolts. Do not loosen any one bolt all at once; improper removal could cause head damage.

Refer to the bolt removal diagram for the 22R engine. All illustrations for the 22R are valid for the 22R-E.

1. Using prybars applied evenly at the front and the rear of the valve rocker assembly, gently pry the assembly off its mounting dowels.

2. Lift the head off its dowels. If it is difficult to lift off, pry gently with small tools. Do NOT damage the mating surfaces of the head or block. Do NOT attempt to slide the head off the block; it must be lifted.

3. Support the head on a workbench.

4. Remove the manifolds and EGR valve from the head on the workbench. Keep the head covered and the manifold ports plugged with rags when not working on it.

5. Re-drain the oil pan after the head has been removed; coolant will have spilled into the pan during head removal. The coolant will pollute the oil.

To install:

1. Apply liquid sealer to the front corners of the block and install the head gasket. 29'>

2. Lower the head over the locating dowels. Do not attempt to slide it into place.

3. Install the rocker arm assembly over its positioning dowels.

4. Install the cylinder head bolts. Tighten the bolts sequentially in three passes and in the correct order, coming to final torque on the last pass. Correct tightness is 58 ft. lbs. (78 Nm)

Refer to the bolt tightening diagram for the 22R engine. All illustrations for the 22R are valid for the 22R-E.

1. Install the chain cover bolt. Tighten it to 9 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).

2. Hold the chain and sprocket; double check that the engine is set to No. 1 TDC. If necessary, manually rotate the engine so that the sprocket hole is also at the top.

3. Fit the sprocket over the camshaft dowel. If the chain won't allow the sprocket to reach, rotate the crankshaft back and forth, while lifting up on the chain and sprocket.

4. Install the distributor drive gear and cam thrust plate over the chain sprocket; tighten the camshaft sprocket bolt to 58 ft. lbs. (78 Nm).

5. Set the No. 1 piston at TDC of its compression stroke and adjust the valves.

6. Apply sealant only the cylinder head side of the half-circle plug; install the plug.

7. Install the valve cover.

8. Attach the power steering bracket to the head; tighten the 4 bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).

9. Install the power steering pump and belt. Adjust the belt.

10. Connect the bypass hose to the intake manifold.

11. Connect the fuel hose to the delivery pipe. Tighten the bolt to 33 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).

12. Connect the wires removed:

• Knock sensor

• Oil pressure sender gauge or switch

• Starter wire

• Transmission wires

• Injector wires

• Water temperature sender gauge wire

• Igniter wire

• Vacuum Switching Valve (VSV) wires

• Cold start injector time switch wire

• Water temperature sensor wire

• Cold start injector pipe and wire

• Throttle position sensor wire

13. Connect the fuel return hose.

14. Position new gaskets on the intake manifold and EGR pipe. Install the air intake chamber, throttle body and resonator. Install the bolts holding the EGR valve to the chamber. Use a new gasket and install the cold start injector pipe.

15. Connect the throttle position wire, the cold start injector wire and the EGR temperature sensor wire (Calif. only)

16. Install the EGR vacuum modulator.

17. Connect the hoses removed:

• Both PCV vacuum hoses

• Brake booster hose

• Evaporative emissions (EVAP) hoses

• EGR valve hose

• Fuel pressure hose

• Reed valve hose

• Pressure regulator hose

• Vacuum hoses from throttle body

• Water bypass hoses from throttle body

18. Connect the rear ground strap.

19. Connect the throttle and accelerator cables.

20. Install the heater hoses and the radiator inlet hose.

21. Install the spark plugs and the distributor. Install the engine oil dipstick.

22. Use new gaskets and connect the exhaust pipe to the manifold. Don't forget the clamp.

23. Install the air intake connector

24. Refill the engine oil and engine coolant.

25. Double check all installation items, paying particular attention to loose hoses or hanging wires, untightened nuts, poor routing of hoses and wires (too tight or rubbing) and tools left in the engine area.

26. Connect the negative battery cable.

27. Start the engine, allowing it to idle and warm up gradually.

28. Turn the engine OFF. Readjust the valves.

29. Restart the engine and adjust the timing as necessary.

30. Recheck the fluid levels.

31. Road test the vehicle for general performance and driveability.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Set the timing marks to TDC on the No.1 cylinder; matchmark the chain and sprocket

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Using a 19mm wrench, remove the cam sprocket bolt

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Do not allow the chain to slip off while removing the sprocket

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Remove the front cover bolt before loosening the cylinder head bolts

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Loosen the head bolts in this order, in three passes

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Lift the old gasket from the block

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Scrape and clean the area well, insert paper into the cylinder walls to keep dirt from entering

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: Apply liquid sealer to the corners of the block

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: Tighten the head bolts in this order, in three passes

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: Always tighten the bolts with a torque wrench

Virtual Wrench (L J), Toyota Mechanic
Experience: 35 years Master Mechanic