Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

How can I remove the dash panel in my 2002 Prius

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 7 years ago.

What is it that you need to remove the dash for?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: The dash panel (the part right in the middle with the vents and surrounding the radio etc) was broken and I have obtained a new part that I want to install.
BTW I have already gotten the clips at the top of the panel out, and can see that the rest swings out somehow on a metal retainer, allowing one to remove screws from the back. But the retainer is still being held at the bottom and I can't see how to release it.
Ok let me check....be right back
Is it the panel right below the 3 round vents?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: No, there aren't any round vents. We're talking about a 2002 Prius here. The dash panel is directly in the center and is somewhat T-shaped. It surrounds the radio and the air conditioning controls. It has two rectangular vents built into it.
i see,,,the manual says that once the screws are removed, and then there are 2 push/pull connectors, one on top left and one on top right that just pop out with some leverage. The screws are on the bottom, and side.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: I still don't understand...
I can't get to the screws from the front.
As i see it, it is the bottom that is giving you trouble. Is there an ash tray or anything right below the panel you are trying to remove? If so it will have to be removed to access the screws.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is a CD player below the panel. Is that going to have to come out?

I believe the name of the part you are trying to replace is called the "cluster finish panel assembly".

It shows the 2 pop out tangs on the top ,and 2 screws that are in the botton sides of the panel, they are in the very bottom, and they go through the sides, 1 on each side.

There might be a plastic plug covering the head of the screw, that you need to pop out to get to the screws.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: Yes, I believe "cluster panel finish assembly" may be the name of the part...
However, I cannot find any screws at the bottom. There are two rectangular slots on the bottom, but I can't feel or see a screw in there.
Thanks for your time so far, but this has not helped me.

The picture shows very clearly 2 plastic screws coming from the bottom side of that panel......1 on each side.They come out from the sides,

I'm sorry that you cant find them,,,,i dont know what else to tell you...........

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: How would I get to the sides of the panel?

Picture this......if you were to sit directly in front of the piece you are replacing, and you take your hands and put them on the bottom sides of the center panel, below the cd player, like you were going to squeeze the sides together, right about where your hands would be is where it shows the screws,(behind a little cap)...........i hope this works.....

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: Any way you can show me the picture? The sides of the panel are covered by other parts of the dashboard...I hope I don't have to take them off, too
Sorry, the picture i have, it wont let me copy and post it to you. If you give me an email address i can send it as an attachment if you like. let me know...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. My email address XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Ok i sent you 2 pictures, let me know if you have trouble opening them, as they are kinda large files, and i'm not sure how much space juno provides you for email