Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

2001 Toyota Camry: dashboard..the tail light warning light that..stays

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Toyota Camry. There are two dashboard warning lights that I have questions about. There is the tail light warning light that is on and stays on, but none of my lights on my car are out. The "Brake" light comes on and off. It doesn't happen when I apply the brakes. It changes randomly. I have checked the brake fluid and it is fine. I have had the brakes checked and they are fine. I heard that this model Camry may have issues with these lights coming on for no reason. Is this true? Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 10 years ago.
There have been some cases where the brake light switch under the dash is the cause of this problem, this may be intermittent, the best advice I have based on the information given is to replace the brake light switch and go from there. This is only true if you are absolutely sure that all the tail lights and all the stop lights are working at the time they are checked and the correct bulbs are installed in the sockets and that none of the bulbs are discolored, I have seen the warning light turn on even though the bulbs were working but further investigation revealed some bulbs that looked smoky inside, this means that the bulb has high resistance and even though it is working it will turn the warning light on.