HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech/Toyota Certified
Experience:  20 years Auto experience, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

1997 4runner: rear wheel..leaking i also whant to change the bearing

Customer Question

I have a 1997 4runner and i need to change the rear wheel seals because they are leaking i also whant to change the bearing they list an inter bearing and a outer bearing and seals for both do i just get the outer ones and were does thw inter bearing and seal go
Category: Toyota
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 years ago.

The rear wheel bearing is a one piece bearing.

Pick-Ups, 4Runner, T100 and Tacoma

1989-95 MODELS

See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4

1. Loosen the lug nuts on the wheel, then raise the truck and support it on jackstands.

2. Drain the axle housing.

3. Remove the lug nuts and remove the wheel.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Remove the 4 bolts from the backing plate

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Slide the axle shaft from the housing

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Pull the O-ring from the outside of the housing

1. Remove the brake drum securing screw, then the drum.

1. Remove the brake springs and the retracting spring clamp bolt. Remove the lower springs and shoe strut. Remove the brake shoes, screws, and the parking brake lever. Disengage the parking brake cable from the lever and the backing plate.

2. Disconnect the brake line from the wheel cylinder, being careful not to damage the fitting. Plug the brake line.

3. Remove the four nuts retaining the brake backing plate to the axle housing.

4. Remove the snapring and then press the axle shaft out of the backing plate and slide the assembly out of the housing.

5. Remove the oil seal and press out the axle bearing.

To install:

1. Press a new bearing into the brake backing plate and replace the oil seal.

2. Install a new O-ring into the axle housing.

3. Install the axle shaft and brake backing plate assembly into the axle housing. Be careful not to damage the oil seal with the axle splines. Rotate the axle back and forth until the shaft splines mesh with the differential gear splines.

4. Install the brake backing plate nuts and tighten to 51 ft. lbs. (69 Nm) install a new snapring.

5. Install the brake shoes and lever assembly. Connect the parking brake cable and the brake shoe springs.

6. After installing the brake drum, bleed the brakes and adjust the brake shoe clearance.

7. Refill the axle housing with lubricant.

1996 MODELS

See Figures 5, 6 and 7

1. Loosen the lug nuts on the rear wheel.

2. Raise and support the vehicle, then remove the wheel.

3. Remove the brake drum.

4. Check the bearing backlash and axle shaft deviation as follows:

1. Using a dial indicator, check that the backlash in the bearing shaft direction. The maximum is 0.027 in. (0.7mm).

2. If the backlash exceeds the maximum, replace the bearing.

3. Using a dial indicator, check the deviation at the surface of the axle shaft outside the hub bolt. Maximum is 0.0039 in. (0.1mm).

4. If the deviation exceeds the maximum, replace the axle shaft.

5. On models with ABS, remove the ABS speed sensor from the axle housing.

6. Remove the axle shaft assembly by unfastening the 4 nuts from the backing plate. Pull out the shaft assembly from the rear axle housing.

7. Remove the O-ring from the axle housing.

8. On ABS models, remove the bearing and retainer (differential side) and ABS speed sensor rotor.

9. Remove the snapring from the axle shaft.

10. Remove the rear axle shaft from the backing plate. Inspect the axle shaft run-out. Shaft run-out should be 0.079 in. (2.0mm) and the flange run-out should be 0.004 in. (0.1mm).

11. Remove the outer seal. Using a suitable bearing removal tool, separate the bearing from the axle shaft.

To install:

1. Install a new bearing to the axle shaft.

2. Install a new outer seal onto the axle shaft.

3. Replace the inner side oil seal.

4. Apply multi-purpose grease to the oil seal lip. Press the axle shaft into the backing plate. Install a new snapring.

5. On ABS models, install the ABS speed sensor rotor and bearing retainer on the differential side.

6. Attach a new O-ring on the axle housing.

7. Install the axle assembly attach the 4 mounting bolts to the backing plate. Tighten to 48 ft. lbs. (66 Nm).

8. Install the rear brake assembly.

9. On vehicles with ABS, install the sensor to the rear housing assembly, tighten to 71 inch lbs. (8 Nm).

10. Install the rear drum and wheel.

11. Bleed the brake system and check for leaks.

12. Lower the vehicle and test drive.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Exploded view of the rear axle shaft and components-1989-95 Pick-Up and 4Runner

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Exploded view of the rear axle shaft and components-1996 4Runner

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Exploded view of the rear axle shaft and components-1996 Tacoma

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Exploded view of the rear axle shaft and components-1996 Tacoma (continued)

Should be the same for a 1997