Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

I have a 1992 toyota camry. Air bag light wont ...

Customer Question

I have a 1992 toyota camry. Air bag light won't go off. No codes stored except code 41.Followed toyota procedure without scan tool.Alternately grounding ab terminal and tc terminal of tdcl connector with no luck. fuse is good.Checked ecub fuse and wiring to center air bag sensor. All repairs done according to all-data supplyed information. Only work i did was replace the ignition cylinder. Out of idea's. Help. P.S. will air bag system work with code 41 stored?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Michael replied 10 years ago.
Code 41 is for the throttle position sensor and has nothing to do with the air bag module.If the air bag light is on,then the system is in disable mode and inoperative until repairs are made.You'll need to have a scan tool to access the air bag module info to troubleshoot.This one is better left for the dealer or a repair facility equipped to deal with the air bag circuit (most shops are equipped)The air bag system is very dangerous to work on unless you are qualified to do so.You don't want it exploding on you while your working on the car or worse yet while driving it.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: The air bag light is flashing code 41 not the check engine light. I am a fully certified mechanic in all auto and truck catagories. I have been in my own business for 45 years. I was looking for a answer that would not need toyota scan tool. I have snap on and a host of other scan tools. All are of no help with this problem. Thanks for your help. I have to decline your answer
Expert:  Michael replied 10 years ago.

Sure,That's fine.You don't have to accept an answer on JA until you are satisfied with it.Your question was "Will the air bag work with code 41" and the answer is NO.The air bag system goes disabled whenever the light is lit.If you want to know how to troubleshoot the air bag circuit using the snap on scanner you should close this question and re-open the question you really want to ask.You should also post everything you have tried and let the experts know that you are qualified to work on the Toyota air bag system.If you are not,it will explode or you may cause more damage than repair.

If the ignition switch is left in the ACC or On position while servicing the battery. This can cause the diagnostic system not to function correctly, causing a code #41 to be set. In both cases the Air Bag warning light will be on. The first step would be to check and record any codes that the Air Bag computer has in memory. The factory procedure for clearing the Air Bag computer of codes is simply disconnecting the battery ground cable for 10 seconds. Be sure the ignition is in the off/locked position! When the battery is reconnected and the ignition switch is turned on the Air Bag computer will run a system test. If all tests pass, the warning light will go out. If not the warning light will stay on. If there is a code #41 stored in the Air Bag computer it cannot be cleared by disconnecting the battery. To remove this code requires a special procedure that I will leave to another expert to answer since you don't want to accept this answer.Good Luck.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: Technician did not answer my question or give me any info i didn't already have from alldatapro. thanks for trying
Expert:  Michael replied 10 years ago.

AllData does not have the procedure for clearing code 41.Neither does Mitchell on demand or any diagnostic tool that you posess.This info is guarded by artesian ninja monks . LOL!Is that what you want to do?Clear that code from the center airbag module? Here is how to proceed.When I say service wires I just mean jumper leads.

To clear code 41:

a. Connect the service wires (Jumpers)to terminals Tc and AB of the check connector (diagnostic block under hood)
b. Turn the ignition switch ACC or ON and wait approx. 6 seconds
c. Starting with the Tc terminal, apply body ground alternately to terminal Tc and terminal AB twice each in cycles of 1.0 +/- 0.5 seconds.
Finally, keep applying body ground to terminal Tc.
When alternating between body ground of terminals Tc and AB, simultaneously release one from body ground while applying it (body ground) to the other terminal. If the time interval in between is too long, code 41 will not be cleared.
d. After several seconds, when the airbag warning light starts to blink on a 64 m second cycle, cancellation is complete.
This method clears not only code 41, but also other malfunction codes all at once. Use this method only when the repair procedure is completed.
That will do it.Air bag back in service and light out.

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 10 years ago.
Based on past experience if you are not able to clear the dtc using the factory recommended procedure there is a problem with the center air bag sensor(air bag ecu) itself and it needs to be replaced.