Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

Wondering how to line up cam timing marks on my 1996 toyota camry 2.

Customer Question

I am wondering how to line up cam timing marks on my 1996 toyota camry 2.2
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 8 years ago.
Make sure the number one piston is at the top dead center position, with the crankshaft pulley and the lower timing cover temporarely installed line up the notch on the pulley with the zero mark on the timing cover. The camshaft gear has a small hole in it this should point straight up and line up with a dimple mark on the front cam bearing housing, use a mirror to line them up, make sure that all the slack in the timing belt is taken up the release the tensioner pulley, rotate the engine a few times by hand and make sure there is no slack in the belt and that the marks still line up.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to ted ritter's Post: I was not specific enough I took off the cylinder head and did not mark the cams so I need to know how to line up cam gears to marks on cam gears not the crank to cam amd timing belt.
Thank you for the additional information, there are two large dots on each of the cam gears on the backside, they are about an inch apart, both must line up as the cams are rotated, there is a service bolt that has to be installed in the spring loaded gear, is this bolt installed, if not the two piece cam gear has to be rotated to line up the the bolt hole and the bolt installed to preload the cam gear, if the bolt is installed line up the two lower dots and install the cam bearing caps the rotate the cam to remove the service bolt, then line up the other two dots and the cams will be at the top dead center position with the dowel pin on the cam that has the gear pointing straight up. There are smaller dots on the gears, ignore them, just make sure the large dots line up.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist:
so what the heck are the other dots for????
there are two small dots on one gear and 1 large dot on the other gear like youre supposed to put the big one in the middle of the 2 little ones??
then there are the two small dots on each gear that they want you to line up and everbody says
ignore the assy. marks whatever those are???
but everything I get has a picture of the two small dots on each gear lined up so I put it just like the picture and checked valve openings firing order etc. and runs great.I just wish they would make it easy instead of having so many marks.thanks for your help neal

Well, at least you got it running ok, the small dots are assembly marks that are put there to make it easier to get the service bolt out, the real timing marks are the two large dots, this can be a little confusing, thanks for your reply.