My wife is currently pregnant (3 months) and just got a
My wife is currently pregnant (3 months) and just got a verbal offer from a small-sized (around 25 employees) company and waiting for a written one. She has not disclosed her pregnancy during the interview yet. Although we are aware of that we are not required, but considers to do so before signing the offer to set the right expectation and avoid unnecessary stress to hide it. We are also concerned, however, in case disclosing it could affect her hiring and starting the new job successfully. What kind of things we should be aware of to protect her rights?
Allen M., Esq.
JAG officer and former adjunct prof.
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
I am looking for a permanent job, and I received a verbal
I am looking for a permanent job, and I received a verbal offer from a company, which hires a team of Data Scientists for a particular project funded by a large telecom company. Then the employer started postponing a formal written offer because the contract with the telecom company is still in a negotiation process. Two weeks later I informed them about another offer coming to me from Bank of America, they sent me an offer last Friday. I signed the offer on 10/14/16. BUT my first day is planned on 10/31/16 -- 10-12 days later than I expected. We started the background check procedures, but I feel that the negotiation process regarding large telecom contract is still going on, and there is a possibility that they will lose interest to me. So, I did not stop interviews with other companies to be safe.Here are my questions:1. Is it possible that my employer will terminate the offer if they will not get the deal done with the telecom company? What is their responsibility in this case?2. What if I get an offer from another company and terminate my agreement before the start date? What is my responsibility in this case?
I am in Louisiana and we are in the hiring process. We have
I am in Louisiana and we are in the hiring process. We have verbally offered the position to a candidate. After which we found some serious criminal allegation were being investigated against them. These allegations are relevant to job performance. May we retract our offer? And if so how?
Employee was verbally offered a position while residing in
Employee was verbally offered a position while residing in the state of North Carolina. Employee signed employment/new hire paperwork in North Dakota. Employee was terminated (no reason details provided) over the phone while working in Texas. What state should the employee file a Wrongful Termination suit?
My attorney has been negotiating a settlement and release
Hi,My attorney has been negotiating a settlement and release with my former employer. They have been in this process for approximately 7 weeks, with excuses on both sides to prolong and not edit and formalize the agreement. The agreement is based on a contingency not to file with the civil rights commission. However, that date is this upcoming Friday. I have raised my concerns to my lawyer and suspicion of this weeks ago, yet he seems to be patient with the timeline. Is it the norm for a relatively common separation and release to take this amount of time to draft and finalize? The initial 10 day demand took 8 weeks for a verbal offer, and the draft has now exceeded 7 weeks. I am at a loss, and I am losing faithin my lawyer, however now have exhausted my time to get a new one. Do you think this is a strategy on both sides? So confused.Thanks,Jen
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about
HelloJA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?Customer: I have a job right now. A full time contract position. But i was offered a offer contingent on my background check and references. I don't foresee any problems, but I don't want to formally accept unless it's a written offer. How can I tell the employer that without sounding impolite?JA: OK got it. Last thing — Employment Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
I recently resigned from my MA field sales position with a
I recently resigned from my MA field sales position with a CA-based company (#1) based on a severance package that I was offered by them as part of a re-organization (though I was resigning anyway and they just "beat me to the punch"). Several days after the offer was made and accepted (verbally), I resigned officially. However, after receiving my resignation, #1 rescinded the offer - before the paperwork was finalized - citing potential "conflict of interest" regarding their speculation that I was already employed with another company prior to my resignation. (I was, with another non-competing company (#2), and was "holding on" for a short period of time thru the holidays in order to secure commission payments that I was owed from # *****). Though I have admitted to no wrong doing or conflict of interest, I have offered to accept a lesser payout so that both parties could move on. However, #1 continues to pursue "fact finding" on the conflict of interest angle, which I believe is irrelevant to the current situation as I am no longer employed by #1 and have been terminated by # ***** and have already resigned from the old one. as they were informed by #1 of this "double-dipping" period. My question is a) what if any legal exposure or liability might I have if #1 pursues their conflict of interest claims, b) do I have any potential legal remedies to enforce the offered severance package re: breach of contract, wrongful termination, etc. and c) do I have any remedies to pursue for the loss of #2 based on the disparaging info provided to them by # ***** ? I don't plan to pursue these unless forced to, but wanted to get a sense for where I stand in pushing for a resolve of all of this.
Counselor at Law
An IT start-up company has verbally offered job to my son -
an IT start-up company has verbally offered job to my son - with a 1 yr contract. They are mailing him the contract. The job would be located in New York. He lives in Austin. How does he find an attorney experienced in employment and specifically computerfield to review it?
I was made a verbal offer from the federal government which
I was made a verbal offer from the federal government which is fine. However, in the job descrition it stated that the location could be negotiated AFTER selection. Again, however, during the verbal offer (by phone so no witnesses) the offer was contingent upon me moving to a location. 2 questions:1. Can the offer be contingent on something I am supposed to be able to negotiate AFTER I am selected and thus they are perfroming an illegal "prohibited personell practice"?and2. I realize a verbal offer is basically worthless, but this is a way to get what they want up front instead of having to negotiate after they select me. So, is the verbal offer the "selection" of me for the position even though it is contingent on my moving?