Join the 9 million people who found a smarter way to get Expert help

Recent Transformer questions

My GE spacemaker microwave is making a louder than normal

My GE spacemaker microwave is making a louder than normal noise and smells of burning plastic when I try to cook something. I thought it was the turntable motor because it had been failing but I took the motor out & it's not that.JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?Customer: xl1800, probably 14 years oldJA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?Customer: No, I don't think I can remove it safely.JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?Customer: I guess I'd like to know if it's worth repairing if it's something wrong with the actual microwaving function, considering it's age.

Read more

Tyler Z.

Appliance Technician

Bachelor's Degree

76,486 satisfied customers
My GE over-the-stove microwave stopped working and gives a

My GE over-the-stove microwave stopped working and gives a message there is a short. Is this likely to be the fuse I see described online in repair videos?JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?Customer: Got it about 6 yrs ago, Model HVM 1540 DPI 1 WW.JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?Customer: Possibly, depending on what causes the message (short in control panel)JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?Customer: It was a floor model at Home Depot.

Read more

Engineer-Tech

Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering Technology

954 satisfied customers
Tyler, I've been compiling new notes for microwaves which I

Tyler, I've been compiling new notes for microwaves which I don't normally work on, including what you told me the other day. I know how to test the major components of a microwave with the cabinet off (and to discharge the capacitor). But this is a diagnosis question. I saw a tech who didn't pull out the unit. He just took off the grill and opened the touch pad compartment. I guess he wasn't worried because he's working on the low-voltage side. He could get to switches that way. But he put a test cord he called a split cord, like an extension that had outer insulation stripped to show the black and white insulated wires inside. Then he put a clamp amp meter on the split cord black wire, put a cup of water in the unit, closed the door and powered up. He said you should get 11 amps on the amp meter if the magnetron was getting power from the transformer. Do you ever not pull the whole cabinet out like that? Is it safe if you don't mess with the high voltage side? I wasn't clear on what all he was trying to eliminate as problems when he was using the split cord, but I thought if it's a good tactic it could save you from pulling the whole unit out for some tests.

Read more

Tyler Z.

Appliance Technician

Bachelor's Degree

76,486 satisfied customers
I have a kitchen Aid 6 burner duel fuel oven and my lights

I have a kitchen Aid 6 burner duel fuel oven and my lights in my oven stopped working. we have replaced all bulbs but it sitll does not work what else could it be?JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?Customer: KDRP467KSS07JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?Customer: 10 yearsJA: Anything else we should know to help you best?Customer: not sure if we will do the work

Read more

Appliance Tech Dave

Vocational, Technical or Trade Scho

3,840 satisfied customers
My ice machine is not getting any power lights are not

My ice machine is not getting any power lights are not coming on the boardJA: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?Customer: yesJA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?Customer: yesJA: Anything else we should know to help you best?Customer: just put a brand new control board in

Read more

Tyler Z.

Appliance Technician

Bachelor's Degree

76,486 satisfied customers
Sure. I am frustrated with the oven light not working for

Sure. I am frustrated with the oven light not working for most of the time and then working for a few weeks. The oven is a BOSCH HBL5042AUC. The light does not work during any baking settings. It only flashes on for a very short time when pushing the "light switch". This has been the case for most of the oven's life. The oven otherwise works well and is delivering the correct temperature. - I appreciate any 'enlightning' idea of what might be going on. MattJA: Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?Customer: 2005.JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?Customer: If possible.JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?Customer: The service manual would be useful. I cannot find it anywhere.

Read more

Kelly

Owner/Technician

High School or GED

35,060 satisfied customers
Maytag neptune front load dryer hs no lights on control

maytag neptune front load dryer hs no lights on control panel and will not power on. can hear a low buzzing noise insideJA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?Customer: model number MDE6700AYWJA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?Customer: SUREJA: Anything else we should know to help you best?Customer: dryer was purchased used so not 100% sure on age.

Read more

Kelly

Owner/Technician

High School or GED

35,060 satisfied customers
I can't seem to ask another query on the prior question. I

Kelly, I can't seem to ask another query on the prior question. I got the new compressor from CompressorsRUs via my brother in law. It made the distance OK and my mechanic fitted it yesterday - we didn't change the board, just the compressor. When switched on, the compressor wants to start, (goes clunk) and the voltage is only 80v at the compressor. Question. There is compressor board, plus a small black transformer (labeled as "Inductor, compressor" 67001359 on the parts list) that connects to the board in the bottom left corner (near cutout). There is no voltage coming out of that transformer although he said there was resistance on a static test.Do you think the compressor board (67001603) is now the problem and changing that would solve the problem. It seems they are available, but the inductor (67001359) is not. While getting a replacement board is the next stage, if the inductor is the problem and they are not available, it still may be good money spent to no avail. What does the inductor do?? Does it get its power from the board?? Is that indicative that the board is the issue and a change out would solve the problem.At least we know the compressor is alive and well. Is it obvious we want to keep this fridge There has been so much consolidation in the refrigerator industry since 2008, with Maytag's demise and GE Appliances now Haier, except Sub Zero (a fortune out here in Australia) the older wider fridges are no longer made.

Read more

Kelly

Owner/Technician

High School or GED

35,060 satisfied customers
I have an Electrolux double wall oven EW27EW65GB6. On

I have an Electrolux double wall oven EW27EW65GB6. On Thankgiving day, the top oven was used.After we finished using it we shut it off and the fan continued to run for a while as you would expect as it cooled off. Suddenly smoke filled the kitchen and a burned electrical smell ensued. I threw the breaker to shut off power. Troubleshooting by a technician found the lower oven convection fan was burned and was smoking. It wasn't even being used at the time and has only been used once or twice in 6 years. The upper exhaust fan pulled the smoke from the burning motor on the lower convection fan and filled the kitchen with smoke. I repeat, the convection fan wasn't being used at the time and the motor was burned.JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Electrolux is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?Customer: EW27EW65GB6 is the model. It's about 6 years old.JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?Customer: No, a local appliance technician is replacing the convection fan. I'm a little leery that something else is wrong because that fan was off as far as I know.JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?Customer: Smell was definitely a burned electrical one. Fan shows burning on the transformer cover.

Read more

Whrlp Master Tech

Vocational, Technical or Trade Scho

11,516 satisfied customers
View more appliance questions
In The News