We have a 5.5 month old catahoula lab mix female puppy,
We have a 5.5 month old catahoula lab mix female puppy, about 35 lbs. currently. I came home from work Monday and found an old vitamin bottle that had been on the kitchen counter FOREVER...I mean YEARS... open, empty, with the label chewed off. I think it had a couple of lysene, a couple of juice plus type supplements, and EITHER a couple of zyrtec or aleve (They are both shaped about the same). I don't know if they were scattered or eaten, but I would suspect eate, since she loves to scour for nibblets everywhere. To complicate things, among her nibblet scavenging behavior, it's hybiscus time, and she makes it her goal to rid the neighborhood of the fruits they drop anytime she has an opportunity. I only know this because several weeks back, I saw the seeds in her poop, and made sure she does not go in the back yard unsupervised, until I can get a chance to cut down the bushes. We had seed-free poop for a good while now, but apparently someone (no one is confessing) allowed her to get into them again, as evidenced by poop. This was noted on Wednesday, the same day I had given her her heartworm med. Wednesday night, she vomited several times. Like 6. There were hybiscus(persimmon) seeds in it, too. I put her on a diet of pumpkin, red cabbage, fermented sardines, and goats milk. She vomited once last night, a much smaller amount, and once today, even smaller still. She has plenty of appetite, is peeing like usual, but her poop is darker and more dense than normal. The dense I would understand, since she vomited so much Wednesday, but it's the darker that has me wondering. It's not black, tarry poop, just dark, like chocolate. I would think that's because of the diet change, but from inspection (yes, I'll study that poop!) the first of the pumpkin didn't process till this morning, and there was only 1 persimmon seed. Her gums and ears are light pink, and get pinker with exercise. She's not her usual spaz self, but still plays plenty, and has a good wag about the tail. I mean, was it the 4 year old medicine that she may not have taken hitting her two days later, or heartworm medicine, or persimmon seeds that started all this? Oh, and she had the pepper shaker in the floor open, with pepper everywhere on Monday, too.JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?Customer: GracieJA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gracie?Customer: Not that I can think of...she's a smart, lovely, curious puppy.
Veterinary Degree (BVMS)
My 9 yr old female border collie, Diamond, has had anal
My 9 yr old female border collie, Diamond, has had anal gland issues for over 4 years. She has had to have sutures placed in one to repair a rupture two years ago. The repair did not hold and she now has issues every few weeks. We've tried more dietary fiber (green beans), sits baths and monthly expression by our vet. We are now considering surgery to remove the right gland that was ruptured. There seems to be a collection of puss within this gland and the old sutures that complicate the condition. What other options do we have? What are the pros and cons of removal?JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Diamond?Customer: She doesn't have any other known conditions, though she hasn't had a blood work up as yet. As with most borders, she is very athletic and an Alpha female. She doesn't tolerate other companions well. She spends most of her days with our two male dogs, another BC and a Sheepdog. She is a "ball dog". Hyper is one way to describe her.
My dog just had blood work and my vet is concerned about the
Hello,JA: Hello. How can we be of help?Customer: My dog just had blood work and my vet is concerned about the BUN 51 Creat-1.8.JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with just?Customer: I should mention he is almost 13, in great health but just had surgery in Aug to remove a Leimeiosarcoma out of his intestine. IT was cancerous but there is NO evidense that it spread anywhere. We all felt including the surgeon that we might have gotten in early . That being said it was a intermediate tumor and it could come back. However my dogs kidney function have always been normal until now almost 8 weeks after surgery. NOTE: He has never been on any medications and is not any currently.JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about just?Customer: My question is: Early onset of Kidney disease? And why now? Old age?