Join the 9 million people who found a smarter way to get Expert help

Recent real estate law questions

My closing is supposed to be this Friday. We are all agreed

My closing is supposed to be this Friday. We are all agreed upon this...except the seller's agent never told him we'd moved the date up. The sellers agent is being a jerk to my agent saying that the emails (proof he knew about this Friday) are irrelevant & if she keeps "being like this" he won't let the closing go through for another week. That is just one problem.My big problem is that we are buying a home that had been used as a VRBO. The seller has people scheduled right up until closing. It's not listed in disclosures that it would still be rented out. I want this house, it's on the lake & it's what my husband & I want but I am also not going to be made the fool.

Read more

Loren

Juris Doctor

 
34,652 satisfied customers
REAL ESTATE QUESTION How does the seller have to wait buyer

REAL ESTATE QUESTIONHow long does the seller have to wait for the buyer to get loan approval. We are 45 days past the close of escrow and the buyer does not have the full down payment.

Read more

Loren

Juris Doctor

 
34,652 satisfied customers
I'm in Minnesota. I have a signed purchase agreement on a

Hi I'm in Minnesota. I have a signed purchase agreement on a home by both parties. I was set to close on this home on June 14. At the walk through the night before none of the personal items were moved out of the home and there were items agreed to during the inspection contingency that had not been completed (my realtor took pictures of all of these things) and I didn't feel comfortable closing the next day as planned. My real estate agent contacted the listing agent and explained the situation and he said that the seller would have items out of the home and we would close on June 16. The morning of June 16 I got a call from my realtor who said we would not be able to close that day either because there were open permits on the home for a roof project in 2007 and another few permits for furnace permits. The owner put in a new furnace after the inspection contingency had ended. I was disappointed after finding out that these were the issues and again I would not be able to close. We had painters scheduled for that afternoon to get estimates. The listing agent said that we could go ahead with these. When we got to the property none of the personal items had been removed. Also, the home smelled terrible like gas. We all ended up having to leave and my realtor called Xcel (a gas company) and they red tagged the home and found multiple gas leaks throughout the basement. At this point I decided to cancel the purchase due to the sellers inability to meet closing deadlines, close permits, empty home, provide the home in good and working condition. I sent the cancellation over asking for my $2000 earnest money back. The seller responded saying that they want to keep it because now they want to relist the house and will have to pay this months mortgage. I'm upset because this money is clearly mine in the situation. Also, I will have to pay for new movers, lost a movers deposit, buy a storage unit and find a new home in a week. I said that I would not sign a cancellation and then they agreed to give me half back, but I'm not satisfied with that. Is there a certain document that I can send to make this more firm?

Read more

RealEstateAnswer

Juris Doctor

 
28,486 satisfied customers
I'm selling the house, and the CSS are setting up the

I'm selling the house, and the CSS are setting up the showing appointments, I feel some are phony, some don't even show up without any cancellation calls. Don't I need a Realtor co? Name, too? Do you recommend CSS appointment schedule? I'm in the Chicago, CSS coming from the Fort Worth, TX. I have listed with the Century 21.

Read more

J. Warren

Attorney

Doctoral Degree

 
3,870 satisfied customers
In a divorce settlement I offered to pay my ex a certain

In a divorce settlement I offered to pay my ex a certain amount of money ( the money owed to the appraised value to make it about 50 percent at time) the housemy thought was to just buy her out but I decided to put the houseup for sale this was allowed in the divorce docs.but if after 2 months the house wasnt sold she could have entered a judgement for the money owed. she did that and got a judgement for the money i gaureeteed to herthe house has a buyer and is being sold. is she responsible for the realtor fees and other fees asscoaited with the house.this was NOT in the divorce settlement about any fees??she is on the deed of the house. it was not turned overGary

Read more

Albert Marmero

Juris Doctorate

 
250 satisfied customers
If I am in a listing agreement with an agent to sell a

If I am in a listing agreement with an agent to sell a property and it is written within the agreement that I can cancel the agreement at any time without penalty (cost), can I really do so without incurring expense. I am displeased with performance and the lack of fiduciary diligence of the agent.

Read more

Barrister

Attorney/Landlord/Realtor

Doctoral Degree

 
44,784 satisfied customers
We had sold our home 0n May 3, 2016; all went well without a

We had sold our home 0n May 3, 2016; all went well without a hitch. Within days, found a property, made an offer and was accepted. Using a VA loan the sellers agreed to pay for a retrofit 0f their manufactured home. This did not drag on and with us having to pay for the VA appraisal, pest inspection; also paid by us. Then having to pay for a re-inspection because the previous report reflected PREVIOUS termite/wood rot on a storage shed and a covering protecting the well pump. These two out-buildings had no physical connections to the Main house which passe with flying colors. The re-inspection report reflected that the structures were retreated and yet this underwriter would not approve the re-inspection report and stated that these two out-structures must be "repaired or removed". Knowing how this person thinks, we knew that the "repairs" would never pass (a third inspection), so with the financial help from the sellers, the structures were removed. By this time, the sellers had moved out and a closing date was set for May 27, 2016. Now, the underwriter had to look for something else. The closing date of May 27 had come and gone. Two more closing dates had also passed.Now, there was an issue of the road that ran to the the property: Private vs. County. Regardless, any issue(s) of the road is moot. There was never any disclosure or mention made prior to, during or after the contractual transaction of the road to the property; until NOW! To date June 25, 2016 we still, do not have a closing date. Needless to say, the mental anguish of this ordeal has been unbearable. My wife, of whom I adore, has broken down in tears three times that I know. I am a 20yr. retired, 100% disabled, combat veteran who struggles daily with my Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). My question for you is: Can my wife and pull out of this without reprisal or lawsuit from the sellers. I have selflessly and without hesitation, proudly served my country with Honor and Distinction without regret and with nothing less than Loyalty towards my comrades and my superiors. That first day of my military life, I took an Oath and Vowed to protect and defend this country and its Constitution. For myself, that oath did not stop when I left military service. I will take this oath to my death.

Read more

William B. Esq.

Attorney

Doctoral Degree

 
18,506 satisfied customers
My sister-in law has been eliminated from any decisions ( in

My sister-in law has been eliminated from any decisions ( in an addendum to the trust for monies received years ago) concerning the sale of the family property which is in a family trust. What type of lien can we put on the property to insure she doesn't try to sale the property without our knowledge.JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?Customer: CAJA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?Customer: Not yetJA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?Customer: No the addendum spells everything out just don't trust her! We have contacted a realtor to sale the property he tried to talk to her to let her know what was going on and she said he had no legal right to list the property or open an escrow.JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.

Read more

Ray

Lawyer

Doctoral Degree

 
33,942 satisfied customers
I am renting a home. My lease ends 10/25/2016. The owners

I am renting a home. My lease ends 10/25/2016. The owners want to sell it so I offered to leave early. I told the property management company I would leave by the end of June. the owners were happy with this as they were going to try and sell while I lived there but after their realtor saw how much stuff I have, they all felt it would be easier to sell after I leave.My issue is, something has come up (personal family situation) and I need put off moving for another three weeks. Since I emailed the property management company in the first place that I would leave June 30 (meaning they have it in writing), can they force me to leave June 30 anyway? I live in Arizona

Read more

KimberlyLaw

Principal Attorney

Master's Degree

 
3,666 satisfied customers
View more real estate law questions

How JustAnswer Works

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Pay nothing to your Expert if you're not satisfied.

In The News