My significant other is visiting friends in the Philippines
My significant other is visiting friends in the Philippines but did not take enough medicine with him. He became very ill and was hospitalized. Now he is back with his friends but the medicine is very expensive. I have it here and want to mail it to him in the original bottles.JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.Customer: PAJA: Has anything been filed or reported?Customer: Not really. I checked the USPS and they do no ship them.JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: I don't think so.
I am going to small claims court tomorrow to sue a small
I am going to small claims court tomorrow to sue a small auto dealer (not franchise) for repairs to a car I purchased. I believe they will claim that as it was under warranty, my claim against them is invalid. The insurance company denied the claim as an "improper liquid" was found in the engine. I did NOT put the liquid in the engine. Other legal council stated: The dealer sold you a warranty which was void when they sold it.But I'm worried that I can't win.
Not sure which this falls under. I am a 56 yo man who is the
Not sure which this falls under. I am a 56 yo man who is the live in caregiver and power of attorney for my 89 yo mother. We won't feel she will ever go in a nursing home because the family can take care of her, but it isn't ruled out. Therefore, the 5 year look back comes into play for the transfer of assets.I am on Full Disability from Social Security and my only income for 7 or 8 years is my full disability monthly check. I read that transferring assets or giving money to a disabled child does not incur penalties and the look back period exempts this in Massachusetts and everywhere. So, does she have to transfer her assets all at once, can she transfer some here and some there. Can she give me $5,000 once this year and then maybe something else next year?
My company offered me a relocation opportunity in Italy. I
Hi, My company offered me a relocation opportunity in Italy. I accepted and proceeded to sell my house (at a loss), my wife closed her dental practice in Brazil and liquidated equipment and furniture, patients were re-routed to the new practice, etc.Now, because the company has been going through significant cost cuts recently, they want to place this move on hold. They are not sure if the Italy office will even remain open.I need some guidance as now the losses are significant considering that my wife dismantled her business. Do I have a case here?By the way, they've been very unfair in my treatment. One day I'm going, then it's on hold, then i'm moving again, now it's on hold... They sent me to Italy to learn the job, meet with teams.. etc. Then i come back and they put the move on hold again. Can a Fortune 500 company treat me like this?Thanks,Marcos
I am a contractor in California. I signed a contract with a
I am a contractor in California. I signed a contract with a client in May 2016. The customer called and told me to hold off. I was only able to reach the client today 9/16/16. Client wants a refund. Am I entitled to the 10% down payment?
I am in Oregon. I have general power of attorney of my
I am in Oregon. I have general power of attorney of my mother's finances. I need to liquidate her stocks and sell her home in order to acquire a more "user friendly" home for her needs. I also want to put the property in my name to protect it. Can I do this?
I am one of the founding members of a non-profit that
I am one of the founding members of a non-profit that recently received a restricted donation. The terms of the donation were to use the funds to assist one of our students build a mobile app that is meant to help the visually impaired. The non-profit is to receive the invoices/purchase orders etc from all the people/companies that are working towards building the application and we are to pay them directly. The mother of the child and her friend are demanding all the money be placed in their companies bank account. Basically requested our non-profit to serve as a shell company so the donating corporation can get a tax write off and then we just turn around and put the money in their account for liquid asset. After talking to two accounting firms and one tax preparerer who is a former IRS agent, they have all confirmed that if we are not paying the vendors/contractors/business service companies directly then we are not working within the legal scope of our non-profit. that all receipts need to show we paid all service providers who provide a bill should be from the non profit to the service providers. The mother has since said there are a few companies who must have a check with her companies name on it (they couldn't accept a check from us). One of the accounting adviser's said as long as we get a letter of explanation stating why the money had to be paid to her company, accompanied by an invoice from her company and receipts proving she paid the third party that we could submit those in case of an audit. So we got the invoice, cut the check and have asked for receipts proving they paid who was on the receipt. For the $29,000 they collected they have only produced $300 worth of receipts. They are not demanding we give them the remainder of the money so that her company can prove liquid assets. We again told them that is illegal and the direct word from the former IRS agent was money laundering and that we would not participate in it. We are demanding they provide the documents we need to prove that money was used for what it was invoiced for and refuse to cut them money directly, but that we would do what was agreed upon and within the scope of the non-profit and pay the vendors/suppliers directly for the growth of the visually impared app as stated by the donor. They do not want to do that, so we now want to return the unused funds to the donor, since they are not willing to following the guidelines. Is returning the funds a legal action. We don't want to continue to fight with them and have them demanding daily we turn the donation over to them so they can have liquid asset for their company, which again everyone has confirmed is not in the legal scope of any non-profit and would void the donors tax deduction. We have no interest in doing anything illegal.
I have a question regarding recent small claims hearing and
Hi, I have a question regarding recent small claims hearing and would like advice on the next step in the process.We filed a small claims suit against a seller who defaulted on a UTAH real estate transaction and we are entitled to $10,000 in liquidated damages per the contract.The Defendants did not appear at the hearing but rather sent their realtor to represent them. At the end of the hearing the Judge stated, "at this time I'm leaning towards a judgment of $10,000 for the Plaintiffs" - but he did not issue a formal judgment. He scheduled a date in October for the two parties to appear for a ruling. He mentioned the two parties get together to solve case prior to this date or Defendant will have a settlement/judgment. We (Plaintiffs, our realtor, and broker) are concerned that the Defendants' realtor did not quite know what was going and will not convey the proceeding with his client (Defendants). Our broker offered to email the Defendants' realtor to clarify the course of events with him in the hope of him talking to his client (Defendants) for them to understand that a judgment will be made if this is not solved prior to the ruling date. We have told him to wait for our direction on this letter/email.Questions:As Plaintiffs should we have our broker reach out to Defendants/Defendants' realtor to explain what occurred and make them aware that the Judge is leaning towards a $10,000 judgment?Do we do nothing until the October ruling appearance date?Can Defendants show up on ruling date with a lawyer and/or others and present new information to the Judge for review and consideration?Can the Defendants request a new hearing?Thank you for your time and expertise.