Join the 9 million people who found a smarter way to get Expert help
Recent legal questions
I would like to ask something about credit card lawsuits. I
I would like to ask something about credit card lawsuits. I am being sued for this matter. Six months ago, I requested and applied for consolidation of my credit cards. I have six credit cards that I applied for consolidation. However, one credit card company denies being part of the program and do not wish to be in this program. I was also experiencing hardship and unemployed so; five of my credit cards accepted the consolidation program except for Discover Card. I talk to the credit counseling representative and ask them the reason why they cannot accept it and they said they do not want to accept it. I was surprised then because all five credit card of mine accepted it, Chase, Home Depot, Walmart, Citi, and American Express. I talk to Discover and ask them myself about denying the credit counseling and they said I can pay less if I go directly to them without the credit counseling involvement. However, the monthly payment they were asking is more or even twice than what I can afford paying with all of my five credit cards combines through a credit counseling program. So, instead, I did not pay attention to them and bothered to send my payment unless they can accept my payment through the credit counseling program I enrolled. After three months, they demand instead that I pay the balance I owe in full through a debt collector agency. I was not expecting them to be demanding because I had credit consolidation 10 years ago and it works until I fully paid all of my credit card debts. Now, because of my hardship situation, I began to have delayed payments until I was not able to catch-up. After six months (this month I received a summon yesterday, June 2 about a lawsuit from Discover) and demanded that I pay in full. So, I went to our Regional Court Justice to answer the summon and wrote a complaint because I tried to settle with them through a credit counseling before, and they denied it and now demanding the full amount in a lawsuit instead. The court granted me the in forma pauperis so, I send it back to the person or law office suing me. My question now is, do I talk to the law firm suing me to settle the debt or make arrangements with them and accept the terms they will be giving me in resolving my debt with Discover card? Will this case becomes worst if I appeal and go through my complaints with how they treating me in paying them in full instead of giving me consideration on paying them monthly on terms or amount I can afford through credit counseling? Discover Card did not work with me when I was willing to pay them through a credit counseling program and they did not give me a reason why they will not accept the credit counseling program like the rest of my credit card debts. Now, they are saying I was in default with my payments with them through the summon I receive just the other day (I receive the letter from a credit debt collector of Discover Card stating a demand for full payment last February of 2016) I never thought it will go into this lawsuit situation because I had credit cards 10 years ago that took me several months without payment before I enroll it through credit counseling program and I was able to resolve and pay all of them without having to deal with one credit card company who do not want to consider a credit counseling program and sue me . And I consolidated my credit cards since November of 2015. Now it is June 2016 and never heard from Discover Card until this lawsuit 2 days ago and telling me I default my debt with them. They should accepted the credit counseling program then because that is all I can afford to pay monthly like all of my credit cards who are willing to work with me because I am still struggling in making payments with all of my debts currently, and I cannot afford the payment terms Discover Card want me to settle with them which will cost me twice the amount I can afford to pay in monthly basis compared to the amount I am paying my other five credit cards combined in credit counseling program right now. Thanks Francis Catoera
I got myself into trouble with payday loans that I attempted
I got myself into trouble with payday loans that I attempted last year to get out of with National Debt Relief. They seem to be great in that they have negotiated deals. The problem is I got one more $2,500 loan through Cash Central in December and had anticipated getting my bonus to pay off. Of course, something happened and now the interest has grown to $3,800. Cannot afford $400 payments.JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?Customer: I stopped paying them of course, changed phone number but I am going to have to deal with the mess I created for myself.JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?Customer: I fear telling National Debt Relief because Im sure that this will be not according to agreementJA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.Customer: You see I had a gambling problem that I have stopped for 4 months and things are better
How do I deal with credit card debt over $25,000. I am thinking
How do I deal with credit card debt over $25,000. I am thinking of doing a consolidation loan. JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue? Customer: Well I did get a letter from some one saying they are called The Department of Advocacy services but they have no mailing address. At the same time I checked my balances and ... JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
I am Power of Attrney friend who has Alzheimer's
Hello:I am Power of Attrney for a friend who has Alzheimer's disease. We've been friends for many years. My Durable P o A was drawn up and Notarized October 12, 2013. I manage my friend's money, medication issues, doctor's appointments and anything else he may have to deal with.In April 2014 we had to apply for Chapter 13 Bankruptcy. Since that time we have complied with all requirements of the court. Recently we decided to change the Chapter 13 to a Chapter 7 because my friend had finally found HUD housing and was able to leave the house he owned and try to sell it.This past week or so the lawyer we hired suddenly began to refuse to include me in correspondence and communications against the requests of my friend. There was no reason for this. When I confronted him in an email he lied and said he just wanted a copy of the PoA.This was not the first time he's behaved in ways that were strange or just wrong (like not shoing up for a hearing and lying about it. I had a friend there, at that curt room who knows he didn't show up.)We fired him, but he keeps writing emails to me telling me he's going to pick up my friend on March 4 to take him to court. We want to cancel the Chapter 7 and have told the lawyer this in writing. The main reason we were filing a Chapter 7 was that the lawyer told us it would help my friend's ex girlfriend to take posession of the house they jointly own (since my frind owes her a great deal of money). We know that there are other ways to handle that and find the Ch 7 unnecessary. AND...we can't afford a new attorney and will not continue to work with this nut.What I am doing today is to draft a letter and send it tothe trustee and our former lawyer cancelling the application for the Chapter 7.Any suggestion you may offer that might be helpful?Can you suggest the best way to handle this outrageous situation and get this lawyer out of our lives? I have paperwork from the Supreme Court of NJ called "District IV Fee Arbitration Dispute." Anything you can recommend to help will be appreciated.Sincerely,Gloria D Brown
Is there a law, in FL, that a spouses rights are "removed"
Is there a law, in FL, that a spouses rights are "removed" from a mortgage, if one of the unofficially, separated spouses move to AL for a particular about of time? In other words, is there a time limit to wait to call the spouse "deserted" from the mortgage, to have their rights removed?I wonder, because I find it odd that my husband (after talking to his lawyer) wants to wait for a while to divorce. I know one reason we are waiting, is because we have a debt we have to do somthing with...we both, in the last few years have become disabled and have a very hard time paying bills...we have to consider bankruptcy. I really don't want this for him, but I bought the house he is in, in FL (from my retirement fund accumulated before marriage, I know is his because of marriage :)...he is paying the mortgage, now. I am back in AL...I think we need to sell it to pay our debt. He has an opportunity to live somewhere else, but thinks he will never be able to own another home.Also, how much is a normal bankruptcy for approximatly $32,000 credit card/small loans debt. (It may not sound like much, but when you each only "bring home" him: $1657mtly, her: $1356mtly, and you each have mortgages of your own and all that goes with it, you can't make it! I can't even qualify for "food stamps in AL because I make just a little over $14,000 a year. Can you believe that? So, I am 55 yrs old, Fibromyalgia/very bad back pain/even after surgery, among other things...I pay the bills, ones I can & med bills, then I am left with 0 dollars for the month. I'm old and thankfully, but how awful & I can't do it for log...I get help from my parents to eat & for gas & the other things for living. There has to be more???So sorry for going off subject... thanks in advance for the answers.
We received a letter 2 days ago from the Wisconsin
Hello,We received a letter 2 days ago from the Wisconsin Dept of Revenue. They levied my husbands old bank account with a one time Levy. We are filing bankruptcy and have the the credit counseling and paid the attorney all but the filing fees and a $100 fee to reopen the case. We have our last meeting before filing on Nov. 30th. In the mean time we are afraid it's just a matter of time before the DOR gets current bank account so I'm wondering if the best action would be to file an order to show cause and a vacate motion at this point? At least those will tie any possible levy up in court until we can file. Do these order till the 240 days or no? We can discharge this in bankruptcy since we've met the 3,2, 240 time frames for discharge. Is this the right thing to do until we can file or should we consider aomething else?
Ray I filed an emergency Bankruptcy Chapter 13 because theView more legal questions
Ray I filed an emergency Bankruptcy Chapter 13 because the trial court was going forward with the Summary Judgment Hearing anthough the case was removed and the judge, and he failed to respond to a number of motions within thirty days. I did not filedthe credit counseling and initialy the case was dismissed. I've since filed the proper credit counseling and the case was re-enstated and the 341 hearing is scheduled for 11-5-15 and bankruptcy plan is due 11-9-15. The creditor alleged lender has submittedmultiple pleadings during the period before and after the we filed Chapter 13 with an automatic 30 day stay in trial court. The creditor filed motion and was granted new court date for summary hudgment hearing for 10-28-15 on unsigned "Order" after the casewas dismissed but before the case was closed and before the automatic stay of 30 days lapsed and before the case was closed- Is that legal? Are they in violation of the automatic stay?