I have a 2 yr old Sharpei, currently on Colchine for Sharpei
I have a 2 yr old Sharpei, currently on Colchine for Sharpei fever. Has had a bacterial ear infection, Octomax, Baytril, steriods prescribed to no avail and now Apoquel. I am concerned about the damage to liver and kidneys, reduced white blood cell count. My Vet just dismissing my concerns. Apoquel for the rest of his life, doesn't sound right.JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?Customer: Chinese Sharpei, 2 years old with Familial Sharpei fever bouts but this is about his bacterial ear infectionJA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?Customer: This is a 2 year old dog, a Chinese Sharpei,.JA: There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?Customer: No
He has a bad ear. I've been cleaning it with peroxide and guaze
He has a bad ear. I've been cleaning it with peroxide and guaze pads and using some drops from Tractor Supply plus some panalog. Is is safe to use Dura-Pen on a dog? I have give injections to my horses for many years. The dog is quite large.JA: IÂ'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?Customer: Carson. Great Pyrenees rescue that was dumped. I'm guessing 3-4 years old.JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Carson?Customer: Otherwise, he seems fine. Just shakes his head and the ear. It also has a odor that does get better with cleaning. I have trimmed the hair under his ear to facilitate that. I do notice a little stinky brown stuff on the hair.JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Veterinary Degree (BVMS)
hi. i have a nine year old intact male choc lab who up until
hi. i have a nine year old intact male choc lab who up until a month ago was in perfect health. then about three weeks ago, 12 hours after i fed him, he vomited up his whole meal and it looked like it wasnt digested at all. he seemed fine for tge rest of the day and that night he ate like his normal self. howwver that night he couldnt jump onto my bed. he put his front paws on the bed and ge needed me to prop his back paws up. he seemed fine in the morning. then when i came home from work i saw he vomited up his whole dinner again and once again it wasnt digested. he qas lethargic and wouldnt eat anything tgat night, he wasnt followinv me around and once again couldnt jump ontobthe bed. this continued for a week, exept he would eat perhaps a tenth of what he did before but only if i hand fed him. however, he woukd keep it all down. i took him to tge vet and we realized he has a sever bacterial ear infection in both ears. i was given oral antubiotic, ear cleansing stuff Nd war drop antibiotic. once he started tge antubiitic for a full seven days he wouldnt eat a single but of food. i eventually started force feeding him baby food. now hes been off tge antibiotuc and war drops fortgree days and hes starting to eat again and show a bit of interesr in life but by no way is he himself. he is so thin now that u can see every one of his ribs and most of his backbone. this whole time he has always been drinking water. one unexpected thing that came from the antibiotics is he stopped havibg pee acidents in tge middle of the night. for about a month before he got sick.. in the middle of tge night he would get up and pee riggt in my bedroom. three days into tge antibiotic that stopped. tomorrow is mt two week follow up with the vet. bosco still is not himself although he is eating now and starting to follow me around a bit. what tests and or illnesses should i ask tge vet about, if they dont bring it up?
My 6 yr old Cocker Spaniel (Duke) has had an ear infection
My 6 yr old Cocker Spaniel (Duke) has had an ear infection for a while now. Before I used Zymox otichc 1.0% to clear it up. Him being the persistent spaniel he went swimming with my wife and friends which caused the infection to come back. I tried the Zymox but that didn't work. Later, due to the trauma in the in the ear he was diagnosed with minor Hornea syndrome on his left side (same side of the ar infection). I went the local Banfield and got him an ear swab, 2 weeks of antibiotics and an ear flush ($155.00). His droopy left eye progressed and the discharge in his ear went from dark red to light yellow. Two weeks later and the vet says it's getting better, she prescribed 2 more weeks of antibiotics ($70.00). Five days later the vet says it's getting better and she prescribes 5 days of antibiotics ($35.00). A few days later I received a call from the Assistant informing me that if the infection does not clear up they will have to do a culture and it will cost $50.00. $260 later and Dukes' ear is still infected and Banfield is bleeding me dry. Is there anything out there I can use to clear this up?
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
Hello, we have a 4 month old Bichon Frise. Few days ago we
Hello, we have a 4 month old Bichon Frise. Few days ago we went on a hike on the coast in Italy with him. At the end of the walk, he started screaming from pain. We found a vet here who saw a thorn in his ear, removed it, give him a shot of antibiotics and anti pain and prescribed antibiotic pills every 12 hours. He took the pills twice and has been scratching the ear.I just looked in his ear and saw green puss all around it. Should I wait for the pills to kick in, or this could be something else?
I HAVE TWO DOGS, DOBERMAN/SHEPARD MIX AND BOTH SHAKE THEIR
I HAVE TWO DOGS, DOBERMAN/SHEPARD MIX AND BOTH SHAKE THEIR HEADS AGGRESSIVELY AND ALMOST CONSTANTLY. EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD NO SIGNS OF INFECTION THEY HAVE BEEN TREATED WITH AN ANTIBIOTIC RINSE 2X DAY FOR 8 DAYS WITH NO RELIEF. THEY DO NOT HAVE FLEAS, AND I HAVE BEEN TOLD, NO EVIDENCE OF MITES. I AM THINKING THAT THE FACT THAT BOTH DOGS HAVE THIS PROBLEM MUST NARROW DOWN THE DIAGNOSIS.