Chad Caros
Chad Caros,
Experience:  Owner/ Managing Director at Caros Group
98767339

I have a special needs trust and am applying for SSDI

Customer Question

I have a special needs trust and am applying for SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance). Does what I receive from the special needs trust qualify as income for the purposes of an SSDI application?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have filed taxes and the trust is included in the return.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The trust was originated in Vermont where my mother lived.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Chad Caros replied 13 days ago.

Hello, My name is***** am a Certified Financial Planning ® Professional. Welcome to JustAnswer!

I will be able to assist you today. In what year year was the special needs trust established?

Additionally, how was the trust initially funded? Did you fund the trust or was the trust established by someone other then the beneficiary?

In General, the assets inside the special needs trust are exempt for purposes of eligibility for SSDI. Distributions may affect your benefits, if the distributions are made in cash and given directly to the beneficiary.

I hope this answered your question. My goal is to ensure you have received the answer to your question and have no further questions.

If you do have further questions or if my answer was incomplete please let me know.

Please take a moment to rate my service. Rating my service cost you nothing, but tells JustAnswer to credit me for assisting you.

You can rate my service by using the stars, or faces on your screen and clicking submit.

I hope you feel that I provided you with 5 Star services and I look forward to working with you in the future.

Regards,

Chad CFP ® professional

Expert:  Chad Caros replied 10 days ago.

Are you satisfied with the Answer you received?

If you are satisfied with the Answer, please accept the Answer and rate my service. Accepting the Answer and Rating my service cost you nothing extra, but does notify JustAnswer that I have completed my assigned work.

If you have any follow up questions please don't hesitate to Ask.

You can rate me by using the stars, or faces on your screen and clicking submit

I look forward to working with you in the future and I hope you feel that I provided you with 5 Star services

Regards,

Chad CFP ® professional