Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I have lost or misplaced my SS card, and my SS Benefit

Customer Question

I have lost or misplaced my SS card, and my SS Benefit letter for 2017, which I need for recertification of my HUD apartment.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Kansas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, I have been looking all over my apt to find the SS Benefits letter for 2017, which led to the realization that I have also lost my SS card
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I will do what ever it takes and thank you
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Matthew Breecher replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I would like to assist with your question. Please remember, as per the terms of this website, Answers of Experts on the Site are to be used by Customers for general information purposes only, not as a substitute for in-person evaluation or a specific professional opinion.

You have a few options, you can go the the Social Security Administration office near you to obtain the copies. Or, you can obtain this information online. Have you created an online account with the Social Security Administration via their website?

Expert:  Lane replied 10 days ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I am a different expert with a different answer

...

First please understand that (so sorry) A REPLACEMENT CARD CAN not BE OBTAINED ONLINE FOR THE STATE OF kANSAS

...

I CAN, however, tell you exactly what your options are forgetting a copy of your benefits letter

...

Social Security knows that people can lose the paper documentation. This is why they created "MY SOCIAL SECURITY" an online account that allows you to get copies of your award letter/benefit verification letter, 1099-SSA, see your earnings record, etc. ... but again, a replacement Social Security card can only be requested there for certain states.(and again, so sorry, Kansas is not on the list)

...

But for the benefits letter, you can go there, log in (or set up your account AND log in if you've never used it) and print your documents immediately.

...

Here's the site for that: click here for MY SOCIAL SECURITY

...

Once you are logged in to your account, select the "Replacement Documents"tab

...

If you'd rather not use your online account, you have two other options:

...

By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday.

...

OR

...

You can get one by going to your closest Social Security Office.(Although you might want to call the number above first to make an appointment).

...

Click here for a Social Security Office locator, where you can enter a zip code to find the closest office.

...

And for getting a new card, Ive attached an application for that.

Expert:  Lane replied 10 days ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news /bad news content.

OtherwiseI’ll receive no compensation at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!

Lane

..

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance,a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist)designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice to clients on three continents since 1986.