How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephen G. Your Own Question
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7013
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Stephen G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I filed an extension to complete my federal return while

Customer Question

If I filed an extension to complete my federal return while I wait to receive a form needed for completion, can I file my state return in the meantime?
Hmmm, I'm getting the impression that this is only for UK tax questions? I'm a US taxpayer...
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 9 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 9 days ago.

No. You are in the USA tax section.

What kind of a form are you waiting for?

It is generally not a good idea to file a State return until your federal return is finished, because there's always a chance that something changes and then you'll have to file an Amended State Return.

Steve G.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Waiting for 1095 a or b, so I can complete line 61 of 1040.
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 9 days ago.

You should have had that long before now; have you checked up on it and/or asked for a duplicate?

Steve G.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
38; they said I had to wait for it.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Via mail
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 8 days ago.

Well if you're certain the federal income figures won't change & you don't have to attach a copy of your federal return with your state return, then you can file the state return first.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive credit from the site for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,

Steve G.