Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
72280797

I am trying to set up an IRS installment on line and I keep

Customer Question

I am trying to set up an IRS installment on line and I keep getting a message "technical issues--try again later." It asks if I have filed returns for that last 7 years--I got behind at some point but completed an Offer and Compromise plan in 2014. Is that an issue and they aree kicking me out of the application? I have an accountant who prepared my taxes this year but he is busy today.
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 3 days ago.

Dear Customer,

For both installment payment plan and offer in compromise, the taxpayer has to have filed all past tax returns.

The IRS frequently takes down part of its website in the night to safe keep for security issue. Also, some of its approval is actually done with a human being. Therefore, it could be because there is no another human being there to review the application. The third possibility is that the on line application cannot combine your prior debt with your current new debt because there are additional criteria to use and not so standard questions to ask us.

You can use an installment application form and mail it in. It is good to have your CPA to apply the installment payment plan for you.

Regards,

Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP, IMTA