Brian Michels
Brian Michels,
Experience:  Partner at Michels & Hanley CPAs, LLP
98625913

I forgot to date my tax return and I just mailed. I do not

Customer Question

I forgot to date my tax return and I just mailed. I do not owe taxes
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: will tax return be sent back to me?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no I do not owe anything.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Brian Michels replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. I look forward to helping you with your issue today. If you forgot to sign your tax return, the IRS won't consider it a valid return. From there, the IRS may request a signature from you with a supplemental letter. If you are due a refund this could delay the processing time for the refund. You can file a second return to the IRS, which is signed and dated since the first return is not considered a valid tax return.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I signed the return but did not DATE it.

The tax return must be signed AND dated. The taxing authorities will take the position that the return is not valid since it was only signed.

I wanted to follow up and see if you had any further questions. If your question has been resolved I would appreciate your feedback rating so I receive credit for the response. Thank you

I wanted to follow up and see if you had any further questions. If you have questions I am happy to assist. If you have no further questions I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating so I receive credit for my responses. Thank you.