Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

During this past year,my husband lost all hearing in 1 ear.

Customer Question

During this past year,my husband lost all hearing in 1 ear. At that time we understood that hearing aids were not covered by Medicare. Late rin the year all subscribers were issued a notice that they were covered by a certain company okayed by medicare. Will we be able to deduct the $3, 700 we paid earlier in the year?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: The hearing loss was caused by a breakage of a blood vessel to the affected ear. He also lost balance and poor hearing in the other ear.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 10 days ago.

Hearing aids are an allowed deduction under medical expenses if you file Schedule A and itemize your deductions.

You can only claim this on the Schedule A so if your use the standard deduction (because it is higher than the Schedule A amount) there is no other place to claim the amount.

Please rate in a positive way (look for the STARS ) so I am credited with responding.