How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anne Your Own Question
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2421
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Anne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'll try to make this quick. I have an unincorporated

Customer Question

Hello, I'll try to make this quick. I have an unincorporated business with my partner. I'm confused as to how I'm suppose to file my taxes because I also have a full time job. The business I have helps people collect excess proceeds from Los Angeles City Tax. In order to do this, the client has to sign over power of attorney to act on their behalf. We helped a client retrieve money. The check was issued in both of our names. we deposited the check in our business account then paid the client. Do we need to have a 1099 for the client?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: There is no accountant for us
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 1 month ago.


I'm Anne & I've been preparing taxes for 28 years. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Anne replied 1 month ago.


You only need to issue a 1099 if someone provides a service for you. For example, if you had someone that helped you keep your books, and you paid them more than $600 during the year.

So the answer to your question of whether you should provide a 1099 to your client is no.

If you have found my answer helpful, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that I am credited with my work here.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

Expert:  Anne replied 1 month ago.

I see that you read my response but have not yet rated positive.

Do you have a follow up question? Is there anything else I can help you with?