emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

Is Just Answer medical advice that you pay for tax

Customer Question

Is Just Answer medical advice that you pay for tax deductible as a medical expense doctor charge if you itemize medical expenses?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: There isn't more. That's my question.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The Tax Medical Expense document says fees for doctors are tax deductible. If I consulted doctors online on Just Answer who are accredited physicians, are those fees then medical deductions as doctors' fees?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 13 days ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Tempting, but no. The just answer fees you pay for medical advice cannot be deducted as medical expenses. Only fees you pay to doctors to treat a specific medical condition are deductible. A general advice, just like supplements and vitamin pills are not deductible.

But you can include fees for this particular question as tax preparation/tax advice fees because this question is directly related to preparation of your tax return.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
But it was not general advice, but advice about specific conditions. The tax code does not specify the physician has to meet with you in person. I received valuable advice and counsel from a physician at Just Answer. Can you explain?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 13 days ago.

No doctor can treat your medical condition without physical examination. An "online" doctor cannot prescribe you drugs or any other medical treatment. A just answer doctor can only advice or suggest course of treatment, he cannot treat your medical condition.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Okay
Expert:  emc011075 replied 13 days ago.

You're welcome.

Per IRS:

What Are Medical Expenses?

Medical expenses are the costs of diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, and the costs for treatments affecting any part or function of the body. These expenses include payments for legal medical services rendered by physicians, surgeons, dentists, and other medical practitioners. They include the costs of equipment, supplies, and diagnostic devices needed for these purposes.

Medical care expenses must be primarily to alleviate or prevent a physical or mental defect or illness. They don't include expenses that are merely beneficial to general health, such as vitamins or a vacation.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I get it, but the language still seems vague to me, and the Just Answer doctor was integral in diagnosing my illness.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 13 days ago.

An online doctor may suggest but will not give you definite or written diagnoses. You can deduct expenses associated with medical treatment, diagnoses or prevention. On online doctor cannot determine a diagnoses without running tests and physically examine you. And without diagnoses there's no prescribed treatment. And to be deductible, treatment must be prescribed, not just recommended. An online doctor cannot treat your medical condition.