Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

Does this consultation have a fee? Looking for advice for a

Customer Question

Does this consultation have a fee?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Looking for advice for a business vehicle: purchase vs lease. Not sure which has a better tax benefit for a small business.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: no.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Barbara replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

With both purchased and leased cars, you can deduct the related expenses by using the standard mileage rate or actual expenses.

Note: If you own the vehicle, you can choose the standard mileage rate in the first year and switch to the actual expense method in a later year if it becomes more favorable. If you lease a vehicle, you may also choose the standard mileage rate in the first year but once you use the standard mileage rate you must use it for the life of the lease.

With the standard mileage rate, your business mile deduction will be based on 54 cents per mile for 2016 (down from 57.5 cents in 2015). You can also deduct business related parking fees and tolls. For the purchased vehicle, you may also be able to deduct a portion of the interest on your car loan.

Under the actual expense rules, for both leased and purchased vehicles, you can deduct the business percentage of your gasoline, oil, insurance, garage rent, parking & registration fees, lease or rental fees, repairs, tires, loan interest, etc.

Since you don’t own the car, you can’t depreciate it but here’s the good news! You can deduct the business percentage of your lease payments. So if your yearly lease payment is $4,200 ($350 / month) and your business use percentage is 80%, you may be able to deduct $3,360 on your tax return for that year. There is one hitch. Since the tax code limits the depreciation on “luxury” cars, it also limits (to a very small degree) lease payments on such a car. It’s called a “lease inclusion amount” and it reduces the deductible lease payments. The higher the original value of the car, the greater the amount.

As the price goes up on the car, leasing usually becomes more preferable. But don’t forget if you purchased the vehicle, you can also deduct the interest on the vehicle’s loan based on the percentage of business use.

There is one more difference between buying and leasing a business vehicle. That difference is the disposition of the vehicle. When you dispose of a business vehicle that you own, there may be taxable gain or deductible loss. The portion of any gain that is due to depreciation will be taxed as ordinary income. When you return your leased car to the dealer, there is no taxable gain or loss.

The following links contain additional information you will find helpful:

http://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/buy-or-lease-your-new-business-vehicle-67/

https://www.thebalance.com/business-car-leasing-vs-buying-which-is-best-397601

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/business-tax-advantages-buy-vs-lease-vehicles-4315.html

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

I see you have requested a phone call. Please let me know if that is still the case after you review the information I have provided.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 3 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please let me know so I can further assist you.

Thank you.

Barb