Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I found out I'm being audited by the IRS related to

Customer Question

I found out I'm being audited by the IRS related to unreported rental income. I received rental income but received confusing advice on where I needed to report it and I didn't
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I found out I'm being audited by the IRS related to unreported rental income. I received rental income but received confusing advice on where I needed to report it and I didn't as rental income and mortgage payment was a wash
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I'm concerned what of the penalties
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name's Lane. I can help

...

What you should do is get together the return the way this should have been reported.

...

Rental income (and expenses) are reported on Shcedule E.

...

It's very possible that you'll have enough expenses that the income is offset (or at least reduced).

...

If you can show that the expenses offset the income there will BE no penalties.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

It's important to understand, however, that the entire mortgage payment is not a deduction against the rental income, but rather the interest (repayment of principal isn't deducted becasue you weren't taxed on the loan itself)

...

BUT if this is a relatively new mortgage MOST of the payment my BE interest (you'll see the interest on the 1098 the lender should have sent you)

...

AND there are other rental expenses that are deductible as well (such as depreciation on the house, advertising, travel to the rental to inspect, etc)

...

If you'd like help with the reporting, let me know.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Here's a pretty good list of deductible expenses for landlords: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/top-ten-tax-deductions-landlords-29497.html

...

From there:

Interest. Interest is often a landlord's single biggest deductible expense. ...Depreciation. ...Repairs. ...Local Travel. ...Long Distance Travel. ...Home Office. ...Employees and Independent Contractors. ...Casualty and Theft Losses.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me

But if this has helped, and you don’t have other questions, I would appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen – and clicking submit)

That’s the only way JustAnswer will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.