Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I have a tax EIN number but have not needed it for 5 or 6

Customer Question

I have a tax EIN number but have not needed it for 5 or 6 years. How do I find out if it still viable.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have a tax EIN but want to know if it still valid so I use it in 2017.
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no,please how do I validate if it is still valid--please. pretty easy question I believe
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 16 days ago.

Once an EIN has been assigned to a business entity, it becomes the permanent Federal taxpayer identification number for that entity. Regardless of whether the EIN is ever used to file Federal tax returns, the EIN is never reused or reassigned to another business entity. The EIN will still belong to the business entity and can be used at a later date, should the need arise.

If you have lost or misplaced your CP 545 that was sent when you first applied you can ask the IRS to search for your EIN by calling the Business & Specialty Tax Line at(###) ###-#### The hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. An assistor will ask you for identifying information and provide the number to you over the telephone and then send you a letter of verification.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 16 days ago.

Please let me know if you need clarification. If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response. (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES)