Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

I paid my former spouse the appropriate portion of my

Customer Question

I paid my former spouse the appropriate portion of my Reserve retirement until her direct deposit started from DFAS. Where do I find the instructions for filling out the 1099R (to submit to the IRS and my former spouse) for people in my situation?
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 15 days ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Let me make sure that I understand your situation correctly. Per the divorce you were supposed to allocate a portion of your pension to your former spouse. Eventually, this was taken care of by DFAS. Is this correct?

If you are paying your former spouse a portion of your pension per the divorce decree then this would be considered alimony. You would receive a deduction on your 1040 for this amount.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I still need the information from the original question; that is, how to fill out the 1099R to provide the IRS and to my former spouse, so both know how much of my pension was paid directly to my former spouse by me before the direct allocation from DFAS started.

You would not prepare a 1099-R. This would be considered alimony. You would deduct this from your taxes and your ex spouse would report this amount as income.

When you are paying your ex-spouse the money is coming from you personally and not from a retirement account.