How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2844
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently in the process of filing taxes for my

Customer Question

Hello! I am currently in the process of filing taxes for my S-Corporation. I was wondering what I need to do as far as paying myself a salary from the corporation goes, and how exactly that works.Do I need to file two total tax returns? (one for the corporation, one for myself)And also do I need to file a form that reports the income that I pay myself from the corporation (W2 or 1099-Misc?)What salary amount should I pay myself given the annual revenue of about $143,000 and the annual profit of around $20-30,000 or so. Should I just pay myself 100% of the profit from the S-corp?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Scorp is a separate entity for tax purposes. You will file a separate Scorp return (form 1120S), issue yourself a K1 and use it to complete your personal return. In addition you have to pay yourself a reasonable salary, meaning how much would you pay a stranger to do your job. It depends on the nature of your job.

You will issue yourself a W2 and you will also have to file payroll returns 940 and 941. You probably should have been filing 941 quarterly, depending how much you pay yourself.

First you will need to complete and file your payroll return, than you use the payroll return information to complete your Scorp return and W2. After completing your Scorp return you will get a K1 that you will use, along with the W2 to complete your personal return.

If it is your first time filing Scorp, I wold strongly recommend to hire a tax professional to help you, especially with the payroll returns.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 4 months ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?