Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I have been informed I must file a FTB 2014 return. The form

Customer Question

I have been informed I must file a FTB 2014 return. The form requires a reconciiation between IRS and FTB for "Domestic Production Activities Deduction"
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Was there a difference in allowable depletion between Calif and IRS in 2014?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Don't this so.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help here.

...

If you'll look here, CA does NOT conform to federal law in the following areas (I'll underline the pertinent part)

...

"California law does not conform to federal law for the following provisions:

• IRC Section 139A - Exclusion from gross income of certain federal subsidies for prescription drug plans;
  • Expansion of the exclusion of survivor benefits attributable to service by a public safety officer who is killed in the line of duty before January 1, 1997;
  • Recovery period for depreciation of certain leasehold improvements and restaurant property;
  • Deduction relating to income attributable to domestic production activities;
  • 2 year extension of increased expensing for small business;
  • Modification of application of income forecast method of depreciation;
  • Special rules for certain film and television productions;
  • Modification of depreciation allowance for aircraft; and
  • Sales or dispositions to implement FERC or State electric restructuring policy."

...

If you use one of the packages (e.g., Turbotax) this reconciliation is done automatically

...

What software do you use?

Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

Looked at the code. California simply doesn't allow the deduction.

Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

You'll see this adjustment on line 35 of California Schedule CA: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2015/15_540ca.pdf "California Adjustments — Residents."

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me

But if this has helped, and you don’t have other questions, I would appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen – and clicking submit)

That’s the only way JustAnswer will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986

Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

...

But if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane

Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

...

...

Did my answer help?

...

Lane