emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

Can my husband file his taxes as married filing separately

Customer Question

Can my husband file his taxes as married filing separately if I don't file because I have no income to report?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Yes, he can and if he has taxable income he needs to. But if you do not have any taxable income, it would benefit him if you file jointly, unless you have a reason not to file a joint return with him.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do. I have high student loan debt and was advised to get into a 20 year repayment plan based on my income so I can finally start paying it off. I was wondering about it because when my kids (who are teenagers now) eventually have children I plan on stop working and help take care of the children. I wanted to make sure that when this happens he would still be able to file separately to take advantage of the plan. Also, do I have to put any of my husbands info on my tax return when I file?

If you do not have any income to report you do not have to file and he can file separate. On your separate returns you will have identify the spouse by name and social security number, but unless you live in community property state you will not include his income or deductions.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?