Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

Can you open a sep ira to reduce taxes on a term capital

Customer Question

can you open a sep ira to reduce taxes on a long term capital gain from a rental property
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. A SEP IRA can only be used if there is earned income. You would not be able to use the long-term capital gain from a rental property in the calculation of the amount that you could contribute to a SEP IRA.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have been self employed for more than 10 years, my business for this year will show a minor lose, the rental property I actively managed for 20 years, the gain will be 120,000 after applying purchase and depreciation, can I deposit the full 25% to a sep ira to defer the taxes?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there a tax deferred account that could be used

Unfortunately you would not be able to use the $120,000 for the SEP IRA calculation.

You could contribute to a IRA.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.