Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Social security made a mistake on my statement. it put 0 for

Customer Question

social security made a mistake on my statement. it put 0 for my income for the years 1981-1983. I worked at that time but because it is so many years ago, I can't get a copy of my tax return from the IRS. is there any way to get it?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 11 days ago.

Hi My name's Lane.

...

I'm so sorry, but the SSA earnings record is usually the database of last resort for proving earnings for other purposes.

...

IRS doesn't keep records that long.

...

Social Security has a publication on this.

...

Here it is: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10081.pdf

...

From there:

...

If you discover earnings missing from your record, the first thing you should do is find some proof of those earnings.

...

This proof could be:

...

• A W-2 form (Wage and Tax Statement);

...

• A tax return;

...

• A wage stub or pay slip;

...

• Your own wage records; or

...

• Other documents showing you worked.

...

If you can’t find any written documents that show your earnings, try to remember the following facts, and write them down:

...

• Where you worked;

...

• The name of your employer;

...

• The dates you worked;

...

• How much you earned; and

...

• The name and Social Security number you used when you worked.

...

After you’ve gathered your documents or made a list of all of the information you can remember, contact Social Security. We’ll work with you to correct your record. This process could take some time, depending on the information you bring to us about your missing earnings. We may have to contact your employers or have you contact them."

Expert:  Lane replied 11 days ago.

I sincerely ***** ***** has helped. And PLEASE let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

...

But if this HAS helped, and you don’t have more questions on this, … I would appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

Otherwise I won’t be compensated for the work here.

Thank you!

Lane

I have a Law degree with concentration in Tax , Estate & Corporate Law, … an MBA, with specialization in finance … a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986