Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I have a state tax lien from the 2006 tax year. I have

Customer Question

I have a state tax lien from the 2006 tax year. I have contacted the state and they tell me their records don't go that far back so they don't know what its for so I have no way to validate what it was for. It is on my credit but I don't know how to remove it since they don't know what it is
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No. That's the one I am having the largest issue with right now. it started out as a little 883.00 bill in 2006 but they filed a judgment in 2011. I don't even have tax returns that far back
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 12 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If the state filed a lien, it will show up in the county public records. Usually, there is some explanation on the tax lien document.

The following link contains excellent information you will find helpful:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/remove-state-tax-lien-4181.html

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I already found that in the records from the court house months ago. That is how I knew what year it was from. The question I am not able to solve is how am I supposed to get the state to remove it when even they don't know what it's for. I'm my initial query I stated that when I spoke with the state they told me they changed systems and their records do not go back that far so they can't even pull it up to tell me how to settle it if it is in fact a valid charge. Hover when I try to contest it on my credit they won't remove it.
Expert:  Barbara replied 11 days ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

The credit bureaus will not remove a valid state tax lien because you contest it due to the state's inability to give you any information. My best advice would be to contact the state and request that they satisfy the lien since they have no information to provide. You may be able to negotiate a payment so a satisfaction of the lien can be recorded in the county. Alternatively, request a letter from the state confirming that they have no records to support the lien, and send that to the credit bureaus with a polite request that they remove it from your credit report.

Expert:  Barbara replied 10 days ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Barb