Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

A Worker with an ITIN# has had $8005.37 withheld for SS AND

Customer Question

A Worker with an ITIN# ***** had $8005.37 withheld for SS AND $1872.22 AND her employer paid the same amounts in withholding. Atotal of $19755.18. The ITIN holder pays Federal & State taxes every April, but is not entitled to a SS#, any SS benefits OR Medicare. So where does all that money go?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: Just a straight answer would be educational.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 17 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The straight answer is that it allows the government to bring in billions of dollars the federal government otherwise would have no way of collecting.

Keep in mind, however, that if that person becomes eligible for Social Security in the future (for example, by becoming a lawful permanent resident), the earnings reported with an ITIN may be counted toward the amount he or she is eligible to receive.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
the Employer gets a double slap - as he pays individual and corporate taxes to boot!
Expert:  Barbara replied 17 days ago.

As is the case with a SSN.