Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

My wife was a foreign student in US on a student Visa and

Customer Question

my wife was a foreign student in US on a student Visa and did not have an ITIN in 2015 or a SS#. We were married in November, but I filed single vs. married and joint. I want to submit a 1040X amendment but do not know what to put for her Identification number.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I would be happy to help you with your questions. You would need to apply for an ITIN number for your wife. You could put "Applied For" as her number but this would likely create more trouble in the processing of the return.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is for tax filing for the 2015 year, she has a SS # now but didn't get it until April 29 20156, hence cannot be used for the 2015 tax year. Are you saying that by obtaining a ITIN now I can use that for the 2015 1040x that I need to file?

Ok I did not realize that your Wife had a Social security number. You would use her Social Security number on the 1040X. Even though the number was issues in 2016. The Social Security number would be used to keep track of her tax information.