Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

I am looking to convert my LLC to a C Corporation. I wanted

Customer Question

I am looking to convert my LLC to a C Corporation. I wanted to know if it's better to do that effective Jan 1st 2017 or right away from a tax perspective?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 13 days ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. From an administrative standpoint it would make more sense to do the conversion on 1/1/2017. This will prevent you from having to do a short year LLC and C-Corporation return. I assume that the LLC is profitable?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
the LLC will have a small profit this year.

Why are you converting to a C-Corporation?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
In order to get VC funding as we are an early stage startup. We are currently a MA LLC (single member) and will convert to a Delaware C Corp. Also, what's the best way to generate a pre-seed valuation of the company to minimize tax consequences of adding shareholders after a conversion?

Adding shareholders would not be a taxable event. You would increase the cash and equity portion of your balance sheet. The valuation of the LLC would be based on a number of factors including the industry, sales, sales growth (to name just a few).

The benefit that investors would have is if they receive section 1202 treatment on their stock. Section 1202 involves sale of qualified small business stock. The gain from the sale of the stock is excluded from taxes up to a total amount of $10 million.