Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

We have a private school with a 501C3 and the superintendant

Customer Question

We have a private school with a 501C3 and the superintendant has gotten mad about something and says he will cancel our 501C3 status. Can he do this because his signature is on the original document?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: We are having issues with the finances and want him to turn them over to our treasurer and he does not want to.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 11 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Generally, to terminate exempt status, you notify the IRS that you're terminating when you file your annual return or notice. I would assume the treasurer or an accountant files the annual return or notice not the superintendent.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
We have a board of directors can the superintendent cancel this without their approval? If he can how can it be reinstated?
Expert:  Barbara replied 10 days ago.

He can do anything if that is his intention, but he should not without the board of directors' approval.

501C3 status can be reinstated by filing a new application.

Expert:  Barbara replied 10 days ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can further assist you.

Best regards,

Barb