Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

I am owed by the irs 3259.00. my 2015 tax returns. Why

Customer Question

I am owed by the irs 3259.00. my 2015 tax returns . Why haven't I received them
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 15 days ago.

Hi

I'm Anne & I've been preparing taxes for 28 years. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
ok
Expert:  Anne replied 15 days ago.

Hi Christopher

The IRS has an "offset" program. This program allows the IRS to apply all, or part of your over payment to past due obligations, such as:

• Past-due child support;
  • Federal agency non-tax debts;
  • State income tax obligations; or
  • Certain unemployment compensation debts owed to a state (Generally, these are debts for (1) compensation paid due to fraud, or (2) contributions owing to a state fund that were not paid).;l

You stated that your babies mama was overpaid, but that shouldn't affect your refund, unless you filed jointly with her.

You should have received a notice in the mail stating why and how much of your refund would be applied to your offset (child support, etc)

If you feel that your refund has been held back in error, you may call 1-***-***-****, and speak to a representative, or you may use their automated phone service (same phone #) and follow the prompts to take you to "my refund". If they are holding your refund for any of the reasons listed above, and you do not get any answers there, then you should call the same phone #, and follow the prompts to "my account"

If you have found my answer helpful, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

If you

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I did have back child support and it was all caught up with taxes but they still owes me money. I did not file with the babies mama
Expert:  Anne replied 15 days ago.

Thanks for the additional information.

Since your refund was sent to Friend of the Court (or whatever court, etc that your "case" was being held at) you will need to follow up with them. It is extremely unfortunate that Friend of the Court, or whoever you owed the child support through (court, etc) did not change your status to show "account current".

Once the IRS pays the money to whoever put the lien on your refund amount (and in this case, you state that it was for back child support) then they no longer have the money to pay your claim for tax refund.

Again, if you have found my answer helpful, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

Expert:  Anne replied 15 days ago.

I edited my answer, but I fear that you did not receive the edited version before you read it. Please re read my response for the edited version.